Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 rear brake spring 17 Oct 2022 10:30 #875632

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi, I got a couple of questions, if anyone knows the answer. I got a KZ440 LTD in parts (nothing assembled). First, you know that knob-like protuberance that's a part of the rear brake pedal, which holds one side of the brake return spring. It's supposed to attach to a similar protuberance on the frame, right? I can't seem to find one on the frame. It's supposed to be on the inside of the right-side passenger footrest hanger, I think. But it's not there. I've looked at all the blowup diagrams I've got, and which I could find on the internet. Aren't all KZ440s supposed to have a knob welded onto the frame to hold one end of the rear brake return spring? I had a good look and nothing appears to be ground off from this frame. Absolutely no sign of tampering, no unevenness, no touch-up of paint, etc. So where does the rear brake return spring attach to?
Second, I've been looking at videos of KZ440s. I'm confused. Some have got an ancient left-side clutch pushrod activator system and some have a more modern arrangement where the cable attaches to a pinion on the right-side of the engine cases. What's deal, and why are there 2 systems?
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 rear brake spring 17 Oct 2022 11:57 #875645

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Edited to correct.  The muffler diagram shows the pin on the RH muffler near the rear mount & the brake pedal diagram at partzilla is showing the spring parallel to the torque link. There's a mounting plate w pin welded to the muffler. Some 440s have the pin welded to the frame on the muffler stay.

As for the clutch actuator, maybe the RH type is cheaper or simpler to adjust. ???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: