Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wilwood master cylinder 29 Jul 2022 14:42 #871272

• Elfarm98648
  • Elfarm98648's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Good afternoon all, today I noticed the brake light was not illuminating when I applied the front brakes, after double checking this wasn’t a wiring issue, I found the pressure sensor in the master cylinder to have gone bad. It was a $18 master cylinder off Amazon though so I am not too surprised.
After some research into quality master cylinders for motorcycles, I have found one that appears to be relatively new and of good quality.  HERE
Has anyone had any experience with these. It states it has a lockout for parking, which is interesting and could be useful for where I live in the mountains. 
Any other suggestions of good quality master cylinders? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wilwood master cylinder 29 Jul 2022 15:31 #871276

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
That unit is a lot of money for what it is.  If it's made in USA, I'd go for it.  Otherwise, a master from an EX650 can be had off ebay for cheap.  Get the rectangular reservoir version, with mirror perch.  

Wilwood master cylinder 29 Jul 2022 15:56 #871279

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1784
I bought a pair of ZRX1200 cylinders for my project for £40 each on EBay 

Wilwood master cylinder 29 Jul 2022 17:16 #871286

• Elfarm98648
  • User
It does appear to be USA made Nessism, however after looking at both the EX650 and ZRX1200 master cylinders it does appear to be a design copy. I will definitely keep an eye out for a good one. 

I have a question about them though, since my levers are now black, would it be possible to swap the current(black) levers to the new MC? Or would the easiest thing be to paint the levers? If I purchased one of these used MCs, would you all recommend a rebuild kit before it goes on the bike or just trust the seller and mount it? 

Wilwood master cylinder 29 Jul 2022 18:58 #871292

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675

It does appear to be USA made Nessism, however after looking at both the EX650 and ZRX1200 master cylinders it does appear to be a design copy. I will definitely keep an eye out for a good one. 

I have a question about them though, since my levers are now black, would it be possible to swap the current(black) levers to the new MC? Or would the easiest thing be to paint the levers? If I purchased one of these used MCs, would you all recommend a rebuild kit before it goes on the bike or just trust the seller and mount it? 
I don't know about the lever.  I used the one that came with the master.  I also used the master as is, after a good cleaning.  I found one off a crashed bike with low mileage.  

Wilwood master cylinder 01 Aug 2022 19:17 #871483

• Elfarm98648
  • User
I bought a used ZRX1200 master cylinder for just under $30 shipped. As long as I can get the screws off the reservoir then I will be in good shape. Now we just wait for it to arrive

Wilwood master cylinder 04 Aug 2022 21:08 #871706

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Hey Nessism, I’m a bit confused on this ZRX1200 master cylinder. It arrived today and I have been playing around with it and I cannot seem to figure out how activate the parking brake. It does have the adjustable handle location but I don’t see any other switch or lever to lock the MC in the pressurized position. Any idea what I’m missing? 

Wilwood master cylinder 05 Aug 2022 00:39 #871708

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1464

Hey Nessism, I’m a bit confused on this ZRX1200 master cylinder. It arrived today and I have been playing around with it and I cannot seem to figure out how activate the parking brake. It does have the adjustable handle location but I don’t see any other switch or lever to lock the MC in the pressurized position. Any idea what I’m missing? 
It doesn't have a parking brake.
I've never seen a factory bike with a parking brake either and i've owned over 500 bikes.
I think the Wilwood description of their 3 position parking brake lock is misleading and simply refers to the span adjuster.
The usual method to prevent rolling when parked on a incline is to put the bike in gear.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1

Last edit: by zed1015.

Wilwood master cylinder 05 Aug 2022 02:17 #871710

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

It doesn't have a parking brake.
I've never seen a factory bike with a parking brake either and i've owned over 500 bikes.
I think the Wilwood description of their 3 position parking brake lock is misleading and simply refers to the span adjuster.
The usual method to prevent rolling when parked on a incline is to put the bike in gear.

Yep, the park break had me chuckling to myself..!

500 bikes !!!!   How the hell do you actually manage that ?  Did or do you own a dismantlers ?  

Wilwood master cylinder 05 Aug 2022 02:58 #871711

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1464

500 bikes !!!!   How the hell do you actually manage that ?  Did or do you own a dismantlers ?  
I'm 58, been riding bikes since i was 10 and never had a car..
Always had more than one bike in the shed.
Currently got six and once had 40 at the same time.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Wilwood master cylinder 05 Aug 2022 17:14 #871744

• Elfarm98648
  • User
I see, I suppose it was a misunderstanding. I thought by parking brake it was a way to lock the pressure into the lines therefore locking the brakes down until pressure is released. This MC needs a good clean out as it currently won’t absorb fluid due to it being rusty and intake is clogged. 

Wilwood master cylinder 05 Aug 2022 21:44 #871750

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

I'm 58, been riding bikes since i was 10 and never had a car..
Always had more than one bike in the shed.
Currently got six and once had 40 at the same time.

I'm 59 and similar circumstances, 500 still blows my mind, In a good way though..!

• Page: