Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fitting a 6 pot caliper to KZ440 14 Jun 2022 14:55 #868792

• Sdaniels2010
  • Sdaniels2010's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
First, there is more coverage than what your diagram shows (covers to the middle holes) & second, how does the area a pad won't contact make it an unsafe condition?
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fitting a 6 pot caliper to KZ440 14 Jun 2022 15:06 #868795

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
Is there any part of the pad face that is not contacting the disk?  Asked a different way, does the pad extend beyond the outside edge of the disk?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Fitting a 6 pot caliper to KZ440 14 Jun 2022 15:56 #868799

• Sdaniels2010
  • User

Is there any part of the pad face that is not contacting the disk?  Asked a different way, does the pad extend beyond the outside edge of the disk?
No...you can't see the top of the pads because it's a sliding pin caliper so I had to remove the pads first, place one with the top edge sits at the top of the rotor & mark where the bottom edge comes to.  Then it's just a matter of putting them back in the caliper, positioning back to where it's marked & taking measurements on bolt hole spacing.  It's a bit easier on opposed piston calipers because you can see the top of the pads without having to remove from the caliper.  That's why I wanted to fit an opposed piston caliper...a 6 piston caliper with those wide pads give more braking action & almost all sliding pin designs only have 1 or 2 pistons.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

Fitting a 6 pot caliper to KZ440 14 Jun 2022 16:52 #868802

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

I didn´t see any outside edge of the disk. The pads won´t fully seated to the disk surface.

Attachments:

Fitting a 6 pot caliper to KZ440 15 Jun 2022 03:27 #868820

• Sdaniels2010
  • User
That shot is angled...but thanks for pointing this out.  I didn't think there was a way to see the top of the pads on sliding pin calipers.  Here's a better one & you can see the outer edge of the rotor.  The other thing to consider is the backing plate on the pad is taller than the friction material.  What you can also see with this shot is the outside edge of the rotor showing no wear so the pads aren't outside the rotor edge.  It also shows the line I made to align the pads to.  The entire friction material is contacting rotor surface.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Sdaniels2010.
  • Page: