Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fork upgrade with emulators 03 Mar 2019 09:02 #799583

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
  • Thank you received: 23
Guys, Racetech strongly recommends NOT to use progressively wound springs with emulators. Don't get confused...Progessive brand springs are not necessarily always built with a progessively wound spring rate, although I think that is primarily what they sell. A progressively wound spring should not be used with emulators because it would require changes to the damping adjustment at different points in the springs compression.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fork upgrade with emulators 03 Mar 2019 09:16 #799588

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I bought the springs, spacers and emulators from race tec also the oil but Im now considering the fork brace from trozzi.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Fork upgrade with emulators 05 Mar 2019 04:47 #799748

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80

gordone wrote:

Thank you for your input.
You have replaced the progressive spring to «normal» one?

I'd recommend getting the springs from RaceTech as well as the emulators. Follow their instructions.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

Fork upgrade with emulators 16 Jan 2021 11:26 #841813

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 222
I see that YSS also makes an emulator, allegedly a Race Tech rip off.
Does anybody have any info about the YSS units?
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Fork upgrade with emulators 18 Jan 2021 23:35 #841989

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93

blipco wrote: I see that YSS also makes an emulator, allegedly a Race Tech rip off.
Does anybody have any info about the YSS units?

There's not much info about them, but essentially they're the same. I looked into them, and the main difference seems to be after-purchase support - racetech have good guides on how to tune them and are helpful with their feedback. Whether the guides are useful or not is another question - a lot of people have said that their guides make the ride very harsh since they're expecting a track setup or similar.

I was initially going to use YSS with their springs as they are cheaper and more readily available in Australia. I decided not to after fitting longer spacers and thicker oil made my current suspension acceptable.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Fork upgrade with emulators 19 Jan 2021 17:22 #842042

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
I have found AR-25 emulators at Traxxion Dynamics. They are emulators with machined damper rods that use a cartridge valve instead of just a pop-off valve.
He will have something for my bike as it has 41mm forks.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Fork upgrade with emulators 22 Feb 2021 06:33 #843854

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
Well I purchased the AR-25 from Traxxion Dynamics. They had not worked on zr7s forks before so we became pen pals for a couple of days. They asked for certain measurements and photos via the internet.
In the end they sent new springs, spacers and cnc machined damper rods with real shim stack valves (instead of a pop-off valve) and the proper oil.
The stack was set up for my riding style.
They are beautiful units and the install went without a hitch. They are easily worth the extra money compared to the Race Tech emulators owing to the fact that you get real valves and strurdy damper rods. The hydraulic lock is not reused however.

Of course the forks are still sitting in my kitchen so I can't give a ride review. The bike is still scattered all over the house.
As soon as the weather cooperates I'll go outside to clean and rebuild the carburetors then start piecing it back together.

Anybody considering a fork upgrade should certainly consider these units.
As for support after the purchase, they have emailed me to let me know they are interested in my impressions once the riding season starts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, gordone

Fork upgrade with emulators 22 Feb 2021 11:24 #843871

• gordone
  • gordone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67

blipco wrote: Well I purchased the AR-25 from Traxxion Dynamics. They had not worked on zr7s forks before so we became pen pals for a couple of days. They asked for certain measurements and photos via the internet.
In the end they sent new springs, spacers and cnc machined damper rods with real shim stack valves (instead of a pop-off valve) and the proper oil.
The stack was set up for my riding style.
They are beautiful units and the install went without a hitch. They are easily worth the extra money compared to the Race Tech emulators owing to the fact that you get real valves and strurdy damper rods. The hydraulic lock is not reused however.

Of course the forks are still sitting in my kitchen so I can't give a ride review. The bike is still scattered all over the house.
As soon as the weather cooperates I'll go outside to clean and rebuild the carburetors then start piecing it back together.

Anybody considering a fork upgrade should certainly consider these units.
As for support after the purchase, they have emailed me to let me know they are interested in my impressions once the riding season starts.

Nice !

Looking forward to get driving reports from you :)

These is a upgrade I want todo next winter.

What modifcation is needed on the fork itself? drilling bigger wholes in the xxx don`t know what they is called, to let he oil flow without restriction, is these the only modifcation needed?
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Fork upgrade with emulators 22 Feb 2021 13:19 #843879

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

blipco wrote: I have found AR-25 emulators at Traxxion Dynamics. They are emulators with machined damper rods that use a cartridge valve instead of just a pop-off valve. He will have something for my bike as it has 41mm forks.

Those look really cool. Now that I see how the racetech emulator works, I definitely would prefer the Traxxion valving.

It's too bad they don't make them for smaller fork tubes. It looks like the KZ1000 tubes are only 36mm OD. I'm guessing it hard to fit the valve assembly in a smaller tube.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Fork upgrade with emulators 23 Feb 2021 09:28 #843922

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
The RaceTech emulators are about $160 a pair or so and they require you to drill your damper tube, which is not really a difficult thing but once you see how chintzy the factory damper rod is you'll not feel comfortable drilling larger and extra holes.

The Traxxion Dynamics setup is $280 but that includes a cnc machined damper rod already drilled and a real compression valve shimmed for your riding style. The springs are extra as well as new seals and wipers and oil. He also supplies new spacers.

The way I look at is, this is absolutely going to get as much as you can out of a damper rod style fork. And it goes a long way towards being a cartridge fork.

When I spoke to Max over the phone I asked him if he made them for the 38mm forks on my brothers KZP?
He told me he made them for the most common size forks. So it's not out of the question that it is possible to be made smaller but he'd probably need to have your forks in hand.

The RaceTech option with new springs isn't a bad option. But I believe the TD setup is better.

I will make sure to post up my ride report.

Fork upgrade with emulators 23 Feb 2021 10:33 #843929

• gordone
  • gordone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67

blipco wrote: The RaceTech emulators are about $160 a pair or so and they require you to drill your damper tube, which is not really a difficult thing but once you see how chintzy the factory damper rod is you'll not feel comfortable drilling larger and extra holes.

The Traxxion Dynamics setup is $280 but that includes a cnc machined damper rod already drilled and a real compression valve shimmed for your riding style. The springs are extra as well as new seals and wipers and oil. He also supplies new spacers.

The way I look at is, this is absolutely going to get as much as you can out of a damper rod style fork. And it goes a long way towards being a cartridge fork.

When I spoke to Max over the phone I asked him if he made them for the 38mm forks on my brothers KZP?
He told me he made them for the most common size forks. So it's not out of the question that it is possible to be made smaller but he'd probably need to have your forks in hand.

The RaceTech option with new springs isn't a bad option. But I believe the TD setup is better.

I will make sure to post up my ride report.

If I understand it correct by using upgrade from Traxxion Dynamics you are abel to go back to OEM setup without order any parts also then, because you don`t damage the damper tube?

I will send them a email and ask for total price, damper rod, valve, spring, spacer, complete package, it will be some exstra for me shipping the forks to US....
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Fork upgrade with emulators 23 Feb 2021 12:27 #843936

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
Gordone..
Yes, you remove your factory damper rod and install the TD rod. The only thing you do to your original rod is to transfer over the plastic damper piston ring from the original rod to the TD rod. (It can be transferred back, but be careful with it, it's fairly delicate).
You also reuse your bottom bolt.

Your forks can be put back to 100% stock.