Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Tach&Speedo 06 Apr 2016 18:59 #719642

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Well that didn't work. They don't sell the 20 minute JB anymore. This SHT takes 2-4 to get hard and it was still tacky. Like gum. :angry: I took another one to the shed and filled the void with solder and filed it smooth. Yeah it didn't stick but it did fill the larger space and the hole. I drilled that and put it back together. Seems to work but for how long? I'll do the switch and pack up the new ones tomorrow then send them Friday.
WTF,MF,GDDMN,SHT. :angry: :woohoo: MAN I GET HOT WHEN I'M MAD. :blush:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

New Tach&Speedo 06 Apr 2016 19:59 #719648

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
I've had the crimp ring of my speedo so many times in the last year and a half, trying to sort it out, that I don't know if it could take another round!
How they heck did the dampening rewind spring get broken?

What part are we talking about here?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:

Last edit: by missionkz.

New Tach&Speedo 06 Apr 2016 20:07 #719652

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Thanks. The driven cone, it's pivot and mount. On the top of the mount is a divot. The pin is broken. The spring broke because I let it swing wildly. I think I didn't put it together right. This time I rotated the cone one full revolution before I put it together. I just don't want one or two holes staring at me while I ride. :pinch:
Steve

New Tach&Speedo 07 Apr 2016 18:20 #719799

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Have my old gauges ready to go back on the bike. The Tach had a broken spring. I decided to see if I could fix it. There is a arm that is bent in three 90* angles. The end is bent over and crimped. The spring goes in there and is bent over to hold it in place. I opened the crimp, put the end of the spring in there, bent it and recrimped the arm. The spring will be about 1/4" shorter but who cares. PITA taking it all apart but now I'm an old hand at it. I set the preload one turn this time on both. I expect they both will lie but at least they won't be flopping around. :whistle: I'll pack up the new ones and send them back tomorrow. Who knows, they might even work right. :unsure:
Steve

New Tach&Speedo 07 Apr 2016 21:36 #719825

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
I hope that works out.
I'd really rather have my original instruments.
My first speedo's reset knob and shaft broke at around 12,000 miles many years ago and I found a near new one at a moto bone yard for $40.
I swapped it out.
I have about 32,000-33,000 miles on the second one but both oscillate so bad, I just couldn't stand peeling them apart for attempted repairs anymore.
So, aftermarket now and I sure hope not terribly inferior.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 05:43 #719841

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The original set I rode a year with a broken bracket. Flopping around, everyone told me they couldn't be fixed, I was young and gullible. Coughed up the $150 for the bracket and fixed it myself. Everyone and his dog wanted me to have them do it for me. It's illegal etc. BS I learned about the repair racket being a lot boy at 14 and with my Honda. They just wanted the bike in their shop so they could GANK me or lien sale it if I couldn't come up with the money to get it out. :angry:
Those gauges worked until the wreck in 86. I doubt aftermarket ones could compete with that.
Back then the bike was a thief magnet and now because they're so scarce even more. I get asked what year it is and before they can go any further I tell them NOT FOR SALE. They walk away disgusted and I ride away with a smile on my face. B)
Some things never change. :whistle:
Steve

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 18:13 #719955

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
I rode a little more today and I noticed that the new speedo makes a rather noticeable howling noise when I roll off the throttle, flip the kill switch, pull in the clutch and coast down from speed until about 20mph, then it abruptly stops.
I first thought my realitvely new front wheel bearings, from my installation early last spring.....we're already going bad.
But I stopped, pulled my pliers out of the tool kit under the seat and undid the speedo cable from the speedo and ran the same test.
Ugh howl was gone.
Put it back together and the howl, although quieter, was back.
So I'm thinking this aftermarket speedo will probably not last very long and I also will be sending one of my nearly four decade old instruments, in for a proper rebuild! Damn it!
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 18:38 #719959

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I tested my old speedo. It works but how well? Tach doesn't even move. At least I'll have something there. :dry:
Steve

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 18:43 #719960

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
I'm curious about something with these gauge problems y'all are experiencing:
Is everyone running new cables too?
I am really dismayed to hear that multiple units are experiencing similar problems or even non-similar problems but for being "new" units.
Makes one wonder what, if any, quality control is being done?

I have rebuilt and restored many, many, many gauges and I know that back in the 60's manufacturers began changing their gauge internals to use plastic from the totally rock-solid brass gearing used previously (this includes clocks even) and with that change gauges became way less reliable but still they should work as new, straight outta the box.

It sure is giving me reason to consider these newer digital approaches, even though I'd prefer the good ol' analog displays.

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 18:50 #719962

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The people I bought mine from said the factory told they found the problem. I guess it's wait and see.
Steve

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 18:56 #719964

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
I don't know about Steve but yes, I replaced both the tach and speedo cable, plus pulled my front wheel drive assembly off, soaked it, dried it and repacked it with fresh HP grease.
I think these aftermarket instruments are probably just overpriced, inexpensive products from Asia.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

Last edit: by missionkz.

New Tach&Speedo 08 Apr 2016 19:03 #719966

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I did too. If they won't last, it won't look good for the supplier.
Steve