Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

new chain-master link question 16 Oct 2005 14:26 #2106

• bluegill
  • bluegill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
No doubt the terminology is wrong, but when installing a master link is it normal to have difficulty getting the outer side piece of the link to slide all the way on the "pegs"? I'm having a hard time getting the side piece to slide on far enough to expose the slots for the outer retaining pin to slide into. It's almost like the "pegs" aren't long enough. Any hints?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new chain-master link question 16 Oct 2005 16:56 #2129

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Oh yeah, especially if it's an o-ring chain :(
I generally use vise grips, pliers, whatevers handy, to try and squeeze that sucker together :P
KD9JUR

new chain-master link question 16 Oct 2005 17:22 #2133

• bluegill
  • User
It is an O ring chain. I'm getting there. I got the pins through pretty good, but messed around and broke the retaining clip trying to get it to slide on, so that's it for tonight. I scanned the archives and see this is not unusual so I'll keep at it. Thanks.

new chain-master link question 16 Oct 2005 18:45 #2183

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 175
Some of the sideplates are very snug fitting. I would suggest trying to fit the side plate without the O rings initially just to see if it goes on properly. I know with the latest batch of RK chain I've had to open up the holes very slightly with a small round file to get the side plate to even go on completely. I've also found some of the rivet link side plates fit better - so if you have both a rivet and clip link, try the side plate from the rivet link.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

new chain-master link question 16 Oct 2005 19:23 #2214

• bluegill
  • User
Thanks Jeff,

I actually did have to file them out just a bit to get the side plate on all the way. I was about done when I broke the clip trying to slide it on. I'll pick one up somewhere tomorrow.

• Page: