Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter button "stuck" 05 Mar 2023 15:15 #881157

• 1981KZ550
  • 1981KZ550's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So, I did a very dumb thing, and when I reconnected my battery I connected to the wrong terminals---sparks--dead.  I replaced the blown fuse, reconnected the battery and all lights come on and work, but won't start. The starter button seems "frozen" or stuck. Won't even depress. I ordered a replacement starter solenoid, but I am confused on reconnecting it. I connected it what seemed proper (wire patterns/color matched), but nothing. When I reversed the wiring thinking I had it wrong it turned over the motor (almost like hot wiring) but did not start.

I can't seem to locate what the owners manual is calling the starter lockout switch?  Maybe its not the starter solenoid thats burned up? Thanks for the help....I'm in over my head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter button "stuck" 05 Mar 2023 16:55 #881160

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The clutch switch is the starter lockout switch >> pull in the clutch lever to start the engine.  It's a safety feature to prevent starting the motorcycle when in gear >> without it, the motorcycle could lurch forwards & fall over if you don't pull in the clutch lever.  

If the start button is physically stuck, then you'll need to take apart the RH handlebar control switch to see what the problem is.

If the battery was connected backwards, the zener diode in the voltage regulator may have been fried.
The 81 KZ650 manual has a warning about that.  I'm not sure if any other components would be fried as well.
edit: ps: did you get the correct battery w the correct terminal orientation? On my motorcycle it would be kind of hard to connect it wrong.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Starter button "stuck" 06 Mar 2023 00:01 #881165

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
Generally electronic components don't like being connected backwards but you need to sort the "stuck" switch first. This needs to be working correctly or every time you pull the clutch the starter will engage which will destroy the starter

• Page: