Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ400 Position Lights 27 Nov 2022 14:48 #877251

• Feanor_twh
  • Feanor_twh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

Trust me, it'll fit perfectly. I've used them on several restoration projects. The black 650 below has one fitted which is an American bike I imported into the UK. 
How did you do to fasten the headlight? I've been observing and since it doesn't have tabs I can't think of a way.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Feanor_twh.

KZ400 Position Lights 27 Nov 2022 15:34 #877257

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Does your head light have a outer and inner rim? My US bike does and the light is held in the inner rim by being sandwiched between a front and back rim. The inner rim is then located in the outer rim which has the direction adjuster screws in on it.

UK bike only have the outer rim and the head light is held in using the W shaped wire clips alone. 
Both styles originally use the same 7 inch headlamp lens, US is sealed no pilot. UK is not sealed and has removable bulb and removable pilot. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

KZ400 Position Lights 27 Nov 2022 16:39 #877260

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I did a headlight LED insert conversion. It was plug´n play and fits perfect into the 7" Z1 headlight frame.

Attachments:

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 10:28 #877270

• Feanor_twh
  • User

Does your head light have a outer and inner rim? My US bike does and the light is held in the inner rim by being sandwiched between a front and back rim. The inner rim is then located in the outer rim which has the direction adjuster screws in on it.
My headlamp has the anchor brackets directly welded on the sealed bulb, and the outer trim attached to it by bending clips, which will probably break after two or three operations.

The assembly is attached to the outer frame by the headlight brackets, and the outer frame is screwed to the headlamp coconut.

So it looks like I need a bulb with those tabs

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard
Attachments:

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 10:38 #877271

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1720
What is the headlamp made of, have you considered getting it drilled and fitting one of these

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

Last edit: by Wookie58.

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 12:47 #877275

• Warren3200gt
  • User
Looks a simple enough job to me. Gently pry back the tabs arrowed, the "cage" will then seperate into two pieces, front and back, lift out the lens and replace with the new one and re fold the tabs.

Attachments:

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 12:59 #877277

• Wookie58
  • Away

Looks a simple enough job to me. Gently pry back the tabs arrowed, the "cage" will then seperate into two pieces, front and back, lift out the lens and replace with the new one and re fold the tabs.

I think the issue is the hardware that appears to be mounted directly to the back of the lens, it looks to me like the tabs only hold the chrome finisher but I could be wrong
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 13:14 #877278

• Warren3200gt
  • User
I doubt anything is mounted directly onto the lens Wookie. It looks to me that the lens is sandwiched between a front and back rim. The two rims are held together by the tabs.
I imagine that the lens manufacturers supplied khi with the glass bits and khi did the rest. (metal bits) 

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 13:28 #877280

• Wookie58
  • Away

I doubt anything is mounted directly onto the lens Wookie. It looks to me that the lens is sandwiched between a front and back rim. The two rims are held together by the tabs.
I imagine that the lens manufacturers supplied khi with the glass bits and khi did the rest. (metal bits) 

I see what you mean, looking at this picture of a new unit it does look like it would seperte as you say

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 16:34 #877284

• Feanor_twh
  • User

Unfold the tabs will only release the trim, but the fastening job is done by the brackets welded on the bulb.
The brackets are soldered directly onto the bulb. I was surprised to see it but it is so, there is no doubt.

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 16:36 #877285

• Feanor_twh
  • User

What is the headlamp made of, have you considered getting it drilled and fitting one of these

I'm seriously going to consider drilling the bulb and putting the sidelight on it. However, finding a replacement for a KZ that already has this done would be ideal.

I'm sorry for the excess of messages, I don't know how to quote several messages in one.

KZ400 Position Lights 28 Nov 2022 16:59 #877286

• Mikaw
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
If it’s a sealed beam, drilling a hole in it will let oxygen in and burn out the filament. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt, Wookie58