• Page:

TOPIC:

1977 kz650 regulator rectifier upgrade 19 Nov 2022 06:28 #876968

• vict182
  • vict182's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for all the replies

Keeping in mind this regulator should be easy and cheap, the solution of buying one from the states isn't easy and cheap for me, so i kept studying the subject and i found something interesting...

The system with field coil isnt that forgotten since 1977, seems many automotive generators still use this system and so they have the same regulation and rectifier system

But i suddenly came to a stop on this directidirection when my curiosity took me on the workshop manual of my 2005 kawasaki zrx1200

Guess what. Its generator has the field coil system and separate regulator and rectifier

Prices of genuine reg and rec are crazy about 399 each

But i found an argentinian company which makes those regulator easy and simple for few bucks, they sell parts also in italy so i could buy one regulator from an italian seller on ebay for 25euros which is about 30dollars i guess, no customs, no forever waiting...

I will give it a try and get back to you if you're curious too

probably i will fry the whole motorbike but well this is the risk we all take for experiments and improvements isn't it?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by vict182.

1977 kz650 regulator rectifier upgrade 19 Nov 2022 07:53 #876971

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
You might be able to find the parts at a motorcycle salvage yard.
The cross-reference at Partzilla shows a number of other models came with the same parts as the ZRX.
Other non-KZ models also had a separate rectifier & voltage regulator. In the links below click the parts for the x-ref.
Cmsnl.com has diagrams for some Euro models & also has a cross-reference. Cmsnl is in the UK.

2005 ZRX1200-A5:
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-zr1200-a5/generator

1986 ZG1000-A1 Concours:
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-zg1000-a1/generator

Cmsnl.com Kawasaki page:
www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki_model11368/

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1977 kz650 regulator rectifier upgrade 21 Nov 2022 17:10 #877058

• stone fruit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
I've been using one from Z!E for over ten years now and no problems whatsoever. 
I realize you aren't keen to buy from the US but I'm in Australia and have to get most of my parts imported. Never had a problem buying from overseas.

www.z1enterprises.com/yamaha-xs650-unive...Z650/all-models/1977

1977 kz650 regulator rectifier upgrade 23 Nov 2022 09:54 #877097

• Feanor_twh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I recommend that you take a look at Oregon motorcycle Parts .

There I bought the electronic regulator for my KZ400, a great piece that is also configurable to charge Lithium batteries. I also bought the rectifier (which was fried). It wasn't particularly cheap but I haven't had to worry since.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

1977 kz650 regulator rectifier upgrade 22 Feb 2023 03:02 #880621

• 76D3
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Glad you found a solution, I´m having this kind of issues as well. I tried Lou's regulator as well but I have not been able to make it work properly,

Did you have success?

Thank you for all the replies

Keeping in mind this regulator should be easy and cheap, the solution of buying one from the states isn't easy and cheap for me, so i kept studying the subject and i found something interesting...

The system with field coil isnt that forgotten since 1977, seems many automotive generators still use this system and so they have the same regulation and rectifier system

But i suddenly came to a stop on this directidirection when my curiosity took me on the workshop manual of my 2005 kawasaki zrx1200

Guess what. Its generator has the field coil system and separate regulator and rectifier

Prices of genuine reg and rec are crazy about 399 each

But i found an argentinian company which makes those regulator easy and simple for few bucks, they sell parts also in italy so i could buy one regulator from an italian seller on ebay for 25euros which is about 30dollars i guess, no customs, no forever waiting...

I will give it a try and get back to you if you're curious too

probably i will fry the whole motorbike but well this is the risk we all take for experiments and improvements isn't it?

• Page: