Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 07:58 #871314

• jrider24
  • jrider24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ive got a parasitic drain issue and I traced it back to the 6 plug connector with 4 wires in it going to the stator. Its got green, black/yellow, blue/red, and green/red. Does anyone know where to go from here? I could tried putting a piece of copper to bridge the gap and test each lead individually, but when I did it like that I got 0 for amp draw on all of the leads individually. Does this mean that two of leads are grouding out together inside the stator cover somehere? Im conused as to why it would be this connector and not the main stator connector that would be drawing amps if it is the stator that is drawing? Where can I go from here to find exactly what is causing the amp draw on this line and how to fix it? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 12:39 #871340

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
blue/red is the oil pressure switch and green/red is the neutral switch and close the voltage circuit to engine/frame ground to light up the indicator bulbs. black/yellow is ground and green is powered by the regulator to set the field coil voltage in the stator. Try to disconnecting the green regulator wire only.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jrider24

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 15:36 #871345

• jrider24
  • User
So I tested for continuity on all of them and I got some on both the neutral and oil pressure switches. Not sure if this tell me anything though of if those are supposed to have it. I traced the green wire and found the regulator but there's a couple extra wires going to it. I'll try unplugging the green wire and seeing what happens. 

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 15:46 #871346

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720

So I tested for continuity on all of them and I got some on both the neutral and oil pressure switches. Not sure if this tell me anything though of if those are supposed to have it. I traced the green wire and found the regulator but there's a couple extra wires going to it. I'll try unplugging the green wire and seeing what happens. 
You will have continuity on the oil pressure and neutral switches to earth - this is how they work, when the pressure comes up or you select a gear the earth is broken and the light goes out 

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 15:47 #871347

• jrider24
  • User
Okay so when I unplugged the green lead it stopped the drain. What exactly does that mean though? 

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 16:43 #871349

• Wookie58

Okay so when I unplugged the green lead it stopped the drain. What exactly does that mean though? 
Reconnect the green lead and disconnect the black one, then connect a voltmeter from the green lead to the disconnected black wire from the generator, if you get a voltage reading at all then there is an internal fault in the generator

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 17:43 #871353

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
The brown wire feed the regulator system with 12 Volts from the ignition switch. There must be a permanent hidden connetion somewhere to the battery + terminal!

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Stator parasitic drain? 30 Jul 2022 18:51 #871354

• jrider24
  • User
Ill check the green to black wires tomorrow and see what it tells me. Although what do you mean by permanent hidden connection? What exactly should I be looking out for and how would I go about testing it?

Stator parasitic drain? 31 Jul 2022 06:38 #871378

• jrider24
  • User
So I touched the green to black and it read 11.9 to 12 volts. I replaced the starter a couple weeks ago but I didn't test for parasitic draw before that. However the battery was completely dead before that so it could have already been doing it before and wasn't just from me possibly messing something up when I put the stator and case cover back on. The bike came with an extra engine so I might just pull the stator off of that one and see if it changes anything. 

Stator parasitic drain? 31 Jul 2022 06:52 #871379

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
First try to disconnect the brown wire from the regulator. The voltage drain should stop. The voltage on green and black should be zero Volts now.

Stator parasitic drain? 31 Jul 2022 08:22 #871383

• jrider24
  • User
With the green wire plugged in and the black disconnected it put my meter between the two and measured 12v. I unplugged the brown wire but nothing changed and it stayed at 12v. 

Stator parasitic drain? 31 Jul 2022 09:54 #871386

• Wookie58

With the green wire plugged in and the black disconnected it put my meter between the two and measured 12v. I unplugged the brown wire but nothing changed and it stayed at 12v. 
If you where connected to the disconnected black coming from the generator there should be no voltage according to the diagram posted. Disconnect the green and and leave the black generator lead disconnected. connect voltmeter from battery positive (red meter lead) to the disconnected green wire from the generator (black meter lead) a voltage reading now would suggest a short in the generator. Also with everything turned off check for voltage on the three yellow wires coming from the generator ( I don't see where you are getting a voltage on the green from with the brown disconnected unless there is a diode gone down in your rectifier)