Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 09 Jan 2022 13:17 #860303

• Alexgonzo34
  • Alexgonzo34's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 76 750b and am rebuilding the bike. I upgraded to a ricks lithium reg/rec and anti gravity battery. I am going through the wiring to get everything set up and I am unsure of where the red/white wire coming off the reg/rec is supposed to go. The bike is only going to have the kickstart and headlight and brake/tailight if that means anything to anyone. I know very little about wiring and am pretty lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 09 Jan 2022 19:11 #860309

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 335
Did the reg/rec have instructions?
Rick's doesn't have the instructions on the site.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 09 Jan 2022 20:44 #860312

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I think Lou’s thread for minimalist electrical systems should be stickied, or his schematics gathered into a single file and posted in the Filebase or Articles section.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 10 Jan 2022 11:04 #860349

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Do you have a link to the exact reg/rec you bought from Rick's?  There is a good chance they may have lumped the 750 twin in with other Kz750's or 400 twins.  But without some re-configuring of wires or components, a reg/rec for a 76 Kz750 twin will not be a direct swap to any other non-early (76 -77) 750 twin or any other Kz.

Here is a post with a bare bones diagram to make it a little easier to read.  It also briefly explains why the 76-77 750-twin charging system is unique.
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/605868-kz...harging-issue#761383

So if you want to keep the wiring stock and use a plug-n-play reg/rec, you need to find a reg/rec designed to control a field-coil type alternator (aka excited-field, similar to what cars use).  The other detail is that the control wire from the reg/rec to the field-coil will have to supply ground to the field-coil (as opposed to providing +12v which is what other Kz's with field-coils do).

Converting to the wiring configuration and reg/rec found on most Kz400's and 77 Kz650's is relatively simple.  It's a matter of swapping a couple wires around.

And a third possibility may be to convert over to the more modern permanent-magnet type alternator and reg/rec system found on 78 and later Kz750 twins.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 10 Jan 2022 11:24 #860352

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 360
Not sure if this will be of any help or not, but here is the wiring diagram for a 76 750 twin b model. 

kz750twins.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/kz750b1.jpg

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 22 Feb 2023 01:59 #880620

• 76D3
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Dear loudhvx,
First of all, I'd like to apologize to you and the rest of members for using this forum and thread for this matter, but I have found no other way.
Im a proud owner of a '76 KZ400, and I was experiencing some issues with the voltage regulator as well. I came across your website and voltage regulator circuit prototype, and tried to reach you via the e-mail adress provided in it (loudhvx@...), just to ask some questions, but apparently it seems to be dissabled. I have tried to send you a private message in this forum as well but it does not work either.
I'd be really thankful if you could send me a private message.
Thank you in advance.

Do you have a link to the exact reg/rec you bought from Rick's?  There is a good chance they may have lumped the 750 twin in with other Kz750's or 400 twins.  But without some re-configuring of wires or components, a reg/rec for a 76 Kz750 twin will not be a direct swap to any other non-early (76 -77) 750 twin or any other Kz.

Here is a post with a bare bones diagram to make it a little easier to read.  It also briefly explains why the 76-77 750-twin charging system is unique.
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/605868-kz...harging-issue#761383

So if you want to keep the wiring stock and use a plug-n-play reg/rec, you need to find a reg/rec designed to control a field-coil type alternator (aka excited-field, similar to what cars use).  The other detail is that the control wire from the reg/rec to the field-coil will have to supply ground to the field-coil (as opposed to providing +12v which is what other Kz's with field-coils do).

Converting to the wiring configuration and reg/rec found on most Kz400's and 77 Kz650's is relatively simple.  It's a matter of swapping a couple wires around.

And a third possibility may be to convert over to the more modern permanent-magnet type alternator and reg/rec system found on 78 and later Kz750 twins.

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 22 Feb 2023 05:09 #880623

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
Sorry to inform you , but Lou passed away
He was a good friend to KZRider and is missed
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Ricks Motorsports Lithium Reg/Rec Help 22 Feb 2023 13:00 #880642

• 76D3
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Such sad news
I'm so sorry for your loss, he certainly seemed like a wonderful person.
May his soul reast in peace
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Wookie58

• Page: