Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handlebar Control Swap 24 Aug 2021 12:54 #854286

• Skidmark
  • Skidmark's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
While doing a resto-mod on a '81 KZ750e2, I finally got down to the wiring.  I found both handlebar controls to be corroded beyond salvage (the bike sat outside for 28 years).  After trying to find OEM replacements and finding even "good used" were priced higher than gold, I decided to get a set of new knock off controls for a mid '70's Z1/KZ900 off of Ebay.

My though process at the time was some of the wiring, if not most, would be a match with my newer year bike.  What ended up different would have to be wired into the KZ750's exiting wiring.  There would need to be some custom "blending" of circuits.  Electrical has never been my strongest point, but I figured this to be doable.  After messing with these controls for weeks, I am at a road block that I don't know how to work around.

At this point, everything works except for the turn signals and the horn.  The turn signals will light up, but not flash.  The indicator lights in the dash work fine but don't flash either.

The sticky part is the new controls do not have the Hazard Switch (part of the turn signal circuit), and they have a switch the OG controls did not - the ON-PO-OFF switch.

1) Can I bypass the Hazard relay and still get the turn signals to function?
2) I read on another thread about bypassing the Reserve Lighting Circuit.  Will this have any affect on the turn signal functionality/problem?
3) I am going to leave the ON-PO-OFF switch not hooked up, since this bike never had one.
4) Is there a way to check if the flasher or Hazard relays are good with a volt/ohm meter?

I have been through all the fuses and their connections.  The wiring diagrams do not include the functional diagram of either the Hazard Relay, or the Flasher Relay.

This is a customization, so I am not trying to keep anything stock, just make it functional.    
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handlebar Control Swap 24 Aug 2021 14:12 #854289

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
What kind of flasher relay and bulbs in the turn signals did you use?
The PO switch position is an European safety standart and turn on only an extra 5 Watt light bulb in the head light reflector.
If you use a sealed beam reflector the PO position did effect or switch anything in this constelation of your main wiring harness.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Handlebar Control Swap 24 Aug 2021 16:01 #854293

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I switched my right hand control with an early model one to gain the headlight switch so I can kickstart easier without its draw, and I found that that while the connectors were the same (one larger one with 4 wires and 2 single wires) the pinout is different like you have by now realized. 

On this original one from my 1980 kz650 ltd the wires that I believe are lights (pink and brown) just go directly to the blue wire which I believe to be power for the headlight and running light circuits. You could copy this to disable the headlight switch if you needed to.

Did your turn signals work before with the old controls? I'm assuming not because you are troubleshooting the rest of the system, but if the running lights still work with the stock right control I'd try leaving that one just to eliminate a few variables since the new right grip can interfere with those.
'80 kz650 LTD - Candy Red B A B Y
Attachments:

Last edit: by Cabbagio Redentor.

Handlebar Control Swap 24 Aug 2021 18:27 #854302

• Skidmark
  • User
The relays are the OEM units for this year bike.  I am just trying to incorporate the new hand controls.  Everything was operational when parked 28 years ago.  I did notice pin out changes, and got through most of that with success.  The turn signals are aftermarket, they are two wire - the stock units were two wire with a chassis ground.  I added a chassis ground to them, with no change.  The turn signal bulbs are not LED, they are an incandescent bulb.

Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2

Last edit: by Skidmark.

Handlebar Control Swap 16 Sep 2021 14:56 #855355

• Skidmark
  • User
After all of my double and triple checking connections and wire color differences, I decided to try a new relay.  It arrived today, and low and behold that was the issue.  Turn signals are working fine now.   
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2

Handlebar Control Swap 16 Sep 2021 15:57 #855358

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Kool beans

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

• Page: