• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 09 Aug 2021 19:49 #853485

• Inspidship
  • Inspidship's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 KZ-550
  • Thank you received: 1
Howdy kind folks. I ordered a set of ignition points for my trusty steed that is in no way trusty. Right and left point, I do have a few questions maybe you guys will be able to answer. Factory I was unable to set the correct point gaps, I took a file to the piece that runs along the cam, aye okay it works all jolly now. Main question is, the 1 and 4 cylinder point’s spring is wayyy softer than the other one. Is this okay?
1980 KZ-550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 09 Aug 2021 20:59 #853486

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Neither of those things is ok. You should not file anything. If the proper gap could not be achieved, then something was wrong. I suspect at least one set is incorrect for your bike. Before grinding away on a new part, I would have recommended contacting Z1 and explaining the problem, and give the company a chance to rectify it. They may not want to exchange a modified part, but I would contact Z1 anyway.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inspidship

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 09 Aug 2021 21:24 #853487

• Inspidship
  • User
  • 1980 KZ-550
I contacted z1, for some reason I remember seeing that someone had successfully filed one down. Both point boxes said they would work for the 550, but still could be a problem with the wrong part. Thinking back I should have waited but haste gets me more than I would like to admit. I let them know my situation and trying to file them down, so hopefully just get the right part to buy and try again. Thank you Texas
1980 KZ-550

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 10 Aug 2021 06:32 #853496

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
No worries, I have made plenty of avoidable mistakes because I was too impatient. I like to think that I have outgrown that, but every now and then………….. 
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 10 Aug 2021 06:38 #853498

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe Z1Ent parts seem to be made in china. Maybe try EB >> OEM, Other made in Japan, Emgo.  Emgo are probably made in Taiwan which would be a good thing (compared to china). Search the part numbers.

Just an example. NOS. made in Japan & reasonably priced.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 11 Aug 2021 21:35 #853625

• Inspidship
  • User
  • 1980 KZ-550
It would be super nice if Z1 told us that their stuff isnt gonna work as they said it would. I emailed them and they said filing is possibly required to make it work. As far as I know when I open a box that said it will work for my bike, it should work for my bike as it is. The Z1 guy said it is a KOKUSAN ignition. I filed down the points so that the gaps are correct and will give it a shot tmrw and see if it runs. I guess if its stupid but it works it isnt stupid. But in this case its still stupid. Ill look into some of the ones that you listed Martin when the time comes around, or maybe ill upgrade to electronic ignition after this mess. 
1980 KZ-550

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 12 Aug 2021 06:34 #853635

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Whoever said to file the points did not know what he was talking about.  If the points were made for your specific bike they should work fine with no filing or other adjustments.  If they do not work they are the wrong points or they are not installed correctly.    Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 12 Aug 2021 07:50 #853642

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Well now I have heard it all.  File down the points until you get the correct gap??  I can only recall one instance where I had to do something like this and it was on a very old JD farm tractor that had no obvious adjustment to the points other than filing them down until we got the correct gap.  But that was on a 1930 something John Deere.  Perhaps what's old is "new"....

Rick H.

P.S.  Get the CORRECT points for your bike.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 12 Aug 2021 09:07 #853647

• Inspidship
  • User
  • 1980 KZ-550
It was my intention to get the correct points for the bike I have, which Is what I thought I was getting when the website said, and I quote, "Fits Kawasaki KZ550-A1/A2/A3/A4 (80-83)". Maybe the "kokusan" or whatever it is points are different but it sounds a little sketchy now that I look at it. The person I contacted at z1 did in fact say some people have to file down the part that contacts the cam for the points, but like everyone here said, they are likely full of it. Maybe i'm jaded by the poor experience with this all, but electronic ignition looks like a dream now.
At the end of the day i'm still learning new things when it comes to this every day so mistakes are unavoidable. But let's hope a few answers come back from z1 soon.
1980 KZ-550

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 13 Aug 2021 07:22 #853698

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Even the fitment list is wrong.  How are points going to fit on bikes that came with electronic ignition, as the A2 and later did?

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 13 Aug 2021 07:50 #853702

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
By Inspidship:  It was my intention to get the correct points for the bike I have, which Is what I thought I was getting when the website said, and I quote, "Fits Kawasaki KZ550-A1/A2/A3/A4 (80-83)". 

I see this all the time:  too many models lumped together.  My 81 650-CSR is a prime example:  almost nothing on it is the same as a 70s 650 but the csr is more often than not lumped in with the earlier models.  as if, hey, it's a 650 so it must be the same !!!

ps:  in the case of the points this might be a problem with Z1Ent combining operations with dimecitycycles. maybe filing points is what they do. ?!?!

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ 550 Ignition Points from Z1 Enterprises 23 Aug 2021 12:49 #854228

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I have also purchased points off Z1 enterprises a few months ago. The points they sent did not fit unless I filed the rubbing block down to allow the dwell to be set in spec. I wrote a review saying they were Chinese junk that didn't fit, but my review was deleted.

Buy by part number or buy NOS. Z1 sells the same junk fleabay does but no free shipping. 

I swapped my points plate for an older model one that would allow me to set timing on each point, Here is my old one with a junk point fitted on the right and an OEM one on the left. 

As you can see its made in china. The rubbing block needed a lot filed off, and the geometry is different, so I wouldn't set dwell by setting gap because the change in geometry would change that. You would need to use a dwell meter.

'80 kz650 LTD - Candy Red B A B Y
Attachments:

Last edit: by Cabbagio Redentor. Reason: Adding pic
  • Page: