Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 17 Jun 2021 18:57 #850335

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843

The PO has the alternator wired directly to the RR instead of going through the panel with the blue and green connectors. Does anyone see any advantage or disadvantage to doing it this way?
Value!
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 18 Jun 2021 05:36 #850350

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

The PO has the alternator wired directly to the RR instead of going through the panel with the blue and green connectors. Does anyone see any advantage or disadvantage to doing it this way?
Advantage:
Expediency.  Those old OEM pin connector pins are very uncommon & difficult to source unused, and require a very good crimp tool to install correctly that most enthusiasts won't have anyway.
Bypasses a few pin connectors that are at the ragged edge of current capacity.
Eliminates a common location of corrosion where male & female pin connectors mate.
If done right, the crimps connecting the wiring are very sound mechanically and, electrically can at least match the current-carrying capacity of the conductors to which they're attached.

Disadvantage:
Makes disassembly more complicated if butt connectors are used, necessitating cutting the conductors.
Can be time consuming to make a clean-looking installation.
Documentation of the modified wiring diagram is seldom done, resulting in mystery circuits that have to be identified & explored by future owners.
Color codes seldom match.
Often require hacking an OEM wiring harness in ways that are not reversible.

There may be more, but that's just off the top of our heads.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 18 Jun 2021 10:16 #850366

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29
That's right.  It's a universal RR.  I don't want anything to be hokey on this bike.  I read an article that wiring the RR directly to the 3 dynamo phases is a cleaner install in that the more connectors you can eliminate, the less potential problems.  Which makes sense. Wiring it direct eliminates the blue, green and white connectors on the panel.  And thanks SlimJim. All good points to consider. 
KZ900; Z1

Last edit: by Robb2018.

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 18 Jun 2021 13:17 #850370

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Just remember to wire your neutral switch and your oil pressure switch because those are wired through the blue plug.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 18 Jun 2021 15:49 #850381

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

I read an article that wiring the RR directly to the 3 dynamo phases is a cleaner install in that the more connectors you can eliminate, the less potential problems.

If you wanted you could get rid of all the connectors in the headlight, all the connectors under right side cover, all the tail light connectors, that would be cleaner, lots less problems.
The factory used connectors so parts could be easily replaced.
Oil pressure switch blue wire
Neutral switch green wire

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 24 Jun 2021 18:28 #850719

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
I've been slowly working my way through the wiring.  I have most of the easy stuff connected, turn sigs, brake lites, head light, coils.  I've gotten down to the RR which has me stumped on what to do.  As I previously mentioned, the PO wired the stator directly into the RR, which is simple enough but what I'm concerned with is, this eliminated the blue, green and white connectors from the panel.  So I'm wondering what from the brown plug, if anything, is dead ending in the white, green and blue female connectors?  I think someone mentioned that connecting the RR this way requires a couple splices into the harness. If that's the case, I'd rather go back to running everything through the blue, green and brown connectors the way it was stock (minus the white which gets eliminated with an RR).  So anyone know if there's any splicing required when wiring stator direct to RR; and if so, does anyone know where replacement male green and blue connectors could be acquired?  Also someone mentioned that connecting the wires to replacement connectors is very hard without some special expensive tool. Any recommendations on that?  Thanks to all of you for your help so far.  I'm no electrical wiz to start with and this PO has run different color wires (Neutral wire I just figured out is now purple) and this work he did on the RR is the biggest challenge.  But slowly I'm getting there.  Almost ready to hook up a battery and start testing.
KZ900; Z1

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 24 Jun 2021 19:46 #850721

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
If it was me I would bring that bike back to stock wiring.  You can buy the female side of the  wiring plugs from Doremi USA, with the correct colours.
But I don't know anyone who sells the male plugs in the correct colours except for the main harness (brown) plug.  Green is the voltage regulator, and you would get one if you bought a used regulator.  White is the rectifier and again, you would get one if you bought a used rectifier.  Same for the blue one on the stator.

www.doremi-usa.com/lights_electrical_c37/

The special tool and proper connectors can be purchased here.  www.vintageconnections.com/

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 24 Jun 2021 20:24 #850723

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Thanks Hardrockminer.  I just found this old post of Steve West's....  Steve, this is a Godsend.  Exactly what I was trying to figure out.
KZ900; Z1
Attachments:

Last edit: by Robb2018.

Z1 Color Wiring Diagram? 29 Jun 2021 15:48 #850914

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Wiring Done!!!  All checked out except starter (cams still off) and coils.  Thanks to everyone for your schematics and advice.  Next up...  reinstall cams and timing chain.
KZ900; Z1