• Page:

TOPIC:

Low beam stalls engine 03 Jun 2021 13:27 #849556

• Jonas_Z1000j
  • Jonas_Z1000j's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi!

This is my first post here, but I have been reading for a couple of years and gotten plenty of help from all the threads. Thanks for that!

I have a 1982 KZ1000J (bought 3 years ago) that I am slowly bringing back to decent condition. Gathering missing parts, refurbishing parts etc.

I have a strange problem. My low beam stalls the engine instantly, high beam or position lights no problem. Doesnt interfere with idle at all. If I put some rpm on the engine, its possible to have low beam on.

I have checked connectors, cleaned grounds and cleaned both the right and left light switches by completely taking them apart.

Low beam measures 4 amps, and high beam 4,7 amps.

As I understand, the left switch is feeded by the right switch, so low and high beam has the same source.

I just found something that looks wierd, and cables that I cant really track in my electrical diagram (clymer).

A red-yellow cable (same color as low beam) from the main harness is connected to a blue-yellow (or white) cable.Its connected to what looks like a relay on the right side of the battery? What is this? (possibly the integrated circuit ignitor unit?)

With low beam on, this connection (R/Y -> Blue) measures 10+v., high beam nothing. 

What have they connected to the low beam!?

I attached pictures of the suspicious connections.

thanks!

Z1000 J2 -82 not so running restoration object anymore
Z900RS -21 Green/Yellow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Low beam stalls engine 04 Jun 2021 06:41 #849599

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The "relay" is probably the Reserve Lighting Device.  If either the hi-beam or lo-beam fails, the device switches over to the working filament automatically and I think it should turn on a warning light at the meters (possibly a white warning light).

There's an 81-83 KZ1000/1100 FSM pdf w color wiring diagrams & it should be linked here on KZR, perhaps in the Filebase.  but I don't see the J2 wiring diagram in the pdf I downloaded, but it may be the same as the J1.   The electrical troubleshooting section has a HL schematic.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Low beam stalls engine 06 Jun 2021 13:24 #849693

• Jonas_Z1000j
  • Jonas_Z1000j's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi, thanks for the input!

I have a european model, which seem to lack the reserve lighting unit.

I investigated more today, and the picture with the "relay" is a part of the ignition circuit. From it, cables run to the pick ups and the "ignition circuit unit". I pulled the low beam connection to this device and the bike runs great with all lighting combinations. I dont seem to miss any functionality. It must be a mistake from a previous owner, I cant think of anything else.

From the electrical diagram, I dont see any lighting source that should be connected to this system (kill switch, ground and tach is all in/outs). Well, I need to look into it more, but for now im happy that it runs great!

A nice side effect to my troubleshooting is that I throughly cleaned all connectors and switches. I now have almost no voltage drop to the ignition coils! What a difference! Bottom end is something completly different than before.

Now I need to adress the intermittent starter motor. Just ordered brushes that im hoping to get this week.

/Jonas

Z1000 J2 -82 not so running restoration object anymore
Z900RS -21 Green/Yellow

• Page: