Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 11:17 #840983

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
That was a fantastic explanation. Thank you for writing all that. This should be copied into the FAQ folks are working on.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Mikaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 11:20 #840984

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843

DOHC wrote: That was a fantastic explanation. Thank you for writing all that. This should be copied into the FAQ folks are working on.

Yes.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 11:26 #840985

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
One more for the expert, I know there is the older and newer version of the Dyna S . Older being taller and bulkier. New being shorter, thinner with a rectangular block on the top. Are they functionally the same? Dwell timing, and both Hall effect? Either have an advantage? Newer technology equals better?
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 15:54 #840995

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
They are most likely the same functionally. Newer technology probably allows them to be smaller which allows them to use the same pickup/driver module on more bikes by being able to fit physically. Hopefully it's more reliable, but the original was more than adequately reliable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 17:13 #840999

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Loud one! You are the electronic Guru! OK! Now let me run this one by you. Last year I parted out some 2 cyl V twin Honda VTR1000.
So a Guy in Chicago bought a lot of items. Got into a phone conversation about ignitions. I was selling the coils.
He said all of those VTR guys were using newer car single coil packs on their plugs. He told me why not the 4 cyl kaws? 2 cyls fire at the same time. Sorta makes sense? Or it might just be an ugly thing? Having them on your spark plugs? I'm sure if it works? someone would have done it??? Just a thought.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 01 Jan 2021 17:32 #841000

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
DYNA being in California is probably closed down to the CVid.
But you could contact DYNA by email. They would give you a work order #. Then you could send them your parts. with a prepaid label for USPS priority envelope. Or a folded up envelope with label. I did about 3 yrs. ago. I sent them 4 or 5 pick ups and the classic slotted base plate with added adjustment slots. Few weeks later They sent me back a new plate with 2 good pick ups from myself, or they gave me one. cause I thought I only had 1 good one. But, NO charge. Just the mailing back and forth. $14.00 bucks it cost for a good as new DYNA S.
There is the basic OHM meter open or closed circuit test with the units? Touching the wires back and forth between them, I forget sequence and colors.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 02 Jan 2021 14:31 #841061

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

z1kzonly wrote: ...He said all of those VTR guys were using newer car single coil packs on their plugs. He told me why not the 4 cyl kaws? 2 cyls fire at the same time. Sorta makes sense? Or it might just be an ugly thing? Having them on your spark plugs? I'm sure if it works? someone would have done it??? Just a thought.

Yes, I've thought about it. I personally find them ugly. Seems like they would be jiggly on the end of the spark plugs when you hit bumps etc.

So are they just coils on the plugs or do they have an igniter built in?

If they are just a coil then you still need an igniter. And if the coils have very low resistance, you will need an igniter with short dwell. The factory dwell would be too long and the Dyna S would be way too long.

If the coils are about 1.5 ohms or so, you could put two in series. This would put the overall resistance at about the right level, but each coil would only be working at 6v.

If the coils also include an igniter, you will need some sort of circuit between the pickup and the coil pack to get the dwell and timing correct.

These problems can all be overcome, but with the ugliness factor, I never looked into it.

One of my projects that ais on the back burner is to use Hyundai car coils, which are dual-post coils. They are nice and small, can fit under the tank of a 550, and are super cheap. But it will be awhile before I get into that.

Test a Dyna Ignition off the bike 03 Jan 2021 10:47 #841121

• bluezbike
  • bluezbike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
WOW !!!! This is such a great red herring.....just learned a ton of stuff, many thanks to Lou
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• Page: