Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Very Weak Spark; 1980 KZ440A1 (with points) 23 Jul 2020 09:11 #831267

• gavroyer
  • gavroyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
F64: I set the gap to 0.015" first, then attempted to set the timing.

Scirocco: The contact breaker is brand new and the points came pre-installed on the points plate. The entire assembly was replaced as a unit (Genuine Kawasaki part# 21008-1014). So unless Kawi forgot to install the insulator, it is present. I also don't think that the bike would run without that insulator.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Very Weak Spark; 1980 KZ440A1 (with points) 23 Jul 2020 11:31 #831278

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I had the same problem on my KZ-1000. Both advance plates were turned all the way to the right and I just barely timed it in. I was bugged by this so a while later I started from square 1 with both plates at center. Thinking back on it I probably should have gone over center and I may do that later. Anyway I went to work and set the points with a dwell meter and set the timing, but this time I didn't need to rotate the advance plates as far as the first time so I still had some adjustment left. Ironically while doing this is where I found out there is a substantial difference in point gap using a dwell meter versus a feeler gauge but that has been discussed previously. I would go back and start fresh with centered plates and see what happens when you are done. It only takes a few minutes to do this and see if it helps. Of course you have to be willing to accept the fact it may be worse this time around.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.