Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Contact Breaker 28 Mar 2020 06:56 #821987

• Wagner
  • Wagner's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone, I have a 1981 KZ550 that I am fixing up. Its my first time and I am learning lots. I took the contact Breaker cover off and the below picture is what I found. I don't know how to tackle this to clean it up. I was reading the manual and am a little confused as to what to do. I am worried about messing up the ignition timing and not sure how to set it back up once i take this apart to clean it up. Any suggestions as to how and what i should do would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact Breaker 28 Mar 2020 08:41 #821998

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
These are pic-up coils for an electronic ignition and not breaker Points. This typ of ignition donĀ“t need/could not be adjusted.
Behind the pic-up holder plate is the ignition timing advancer that should be moving freely and not stuck by the rust bild up.
You should clean all parts with an brass brush and WD-40 and give all advancer parts a good lube with high temp grease.

Edit:
Seen the pics,this typ of ignition can be adjusted (slotted screw holes)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Contact Breaker 29 Mar 2020 02:57 #822083

• Wagner
  • User
Thanks for your help. I took the ignition timing advancer off last night and you were correct. It was seized. I was able free everything up, clean everything , then lube . Works great. I don't know how the bike was running with the seized ignition timing advancer. Although I didn't drive it much after I cleaned the carburetors and got the bike running. Shortly after I started a complete tare down of the bike.

Contact Breaker 29 Mar 2020 10:31 #822124

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I've seen worse, but not by much. :)

Even though the top hole is a slot, one of the three holes is small and round so is not really adjustable... unless you use a file, of course.

You can disassemble the entire timing plate and clean it etc. The plates are steel, but there are some brass screws that are important. Also, the magnet polarity is critical. Between the plates are two magnets, forming a magnet sandwich. They have to go back with the correct polarity.

Also, when you clean the advancer be aware of two tiny rubber bits that act like cushions. They like to fall off and just look like dirt. It will affect the timing so they need to be there.

Here's a link showing the proper magnet orientation and where the brass screws go, in case you already disassembled it. Note there is a picture showing the rubber bumpers too.

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/PickupA.../PickupAndRotor.html

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Contact Breaker 04 Apr 2020 20:18 #822635

• Wagner
  • User
Thanks Everyone. Got everything cleaned up. Freed the Timing Advancer and greased. Everything seems to work as it should now.

• Page: