Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 12:52 #821612

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I hear the stock charging system is not right for the lithium batteries.

There is probably something wrong with the charging system to begin with, then add in the "improved" battery... They are not worth the money, IMHO. Much lighter, SHOULD equal a faster bike, but a bike that runs is faster with less pushin. :)

I'm with mikaw. I have good luck with my $50.00 AGM batteries. This one is now 4 years old now. My bike starts and runs every time. I see the urge to "improve" everything, but there comes a point that the improvements are counterproductive because the bike never does run as good after, as it did before the improvements.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 13:22 #821618

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
There are many advantages to lithium batteries besides weight. I run one on my kz1000 and have had zero problems. I did accidentally drain the battery completely with a parasitic draw once but that was my fault, it has been trouble free. I am running a standard Ricks motorsports regulator.

EarthX has a 2 year warranty on their batteries. I'm not aware of any lead acid battery manufacturer that can offer a warranty even close to that.

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 13:29 #821621

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1837
For you Vic the draw is warranty. What additional advantages, more CCA, longer (deeper) cycles. I’m just looking at potential and strive for a more durable and reliable motorcycle. I’m looking to learn.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 13:38 #821623

• old_kaw
  • User
My battery had a "around the block or out of sight" warranty from china, which seems to be working out ok 4 years later. I also run the OEM regulator that still functions properly 40 years later, and I assume doctorot has his charging system dialed in too.. even if he had to lay out cash on an aftermarket R/R.
There are advantages and disadvantages to most all mods. The weight is all I see as a ltihium advantage, that and the higher initial cranking amps, but then it goes downhill quickly from what I've read. Google lithium advantages and disadvantages for more info. this popped up on a search I just did.

"The li-ion battery disadvantages include: Protection required: Lithium ion cells and batteries are not as robust as some other rechargeable technologies. They require protection from being over charged and discharged too far. In addition to this, they need to have the current maintained within safe limits."

So if the charging system is not up to par, it may need some attention. Check your stator for shorts.

I just found this disadvntage that may concern some folks. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it should be noted none the less.

"* Safety concerns - Lithium-ion battery may explode when overheated or overcharged. This is because gasses formed by electrolyte decomposition increases the internal pressure of the cell. Overheating or internal short circuit can also ignite the electrolyte and cause fire."

Check this site for more info:
kinstarbattery.com/Service/faq/16
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 13:54 #821631

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 130
Size is another advantage of Li-ion. For a custom build, you can have a much smaller battery and more mounting options.
Myself, I keep my bikes pretty much stock and use only lead-acid.
79 KZ400
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c
85 VT 500c

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 15:42 #821635

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Batterys found in Motorsport applications are Lithium Iron Phosphate (liFePO4), not to be confused with Lithium Ion. They are far more stable and safer.

Pros:
light
small
better cranking
lower discharge rate
Won't puke electrolite
can be mounted in any position
Environmentally friendly

cons:
relatively expensive
does not like large changes in voltage

here's some reading if you are inclined
earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2...um-Ah-AN1506_New.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, old_kaw

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 19:56 #821666

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1837
Vic, thank you for the document reference. Good information
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 24 Mar 2020 20:06 #821667

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1006
Lithium batteries are much lighter than lead acid..about one third the weight. They also last about 10 times longer, which negates the higher price and then some. They hold their charge much better in cold weather, so have better cranking amps available on a cold start.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 25 Mar 2020 06:42 #821689

• old_kaw
  • User
Thanks for the rundown on the lithium iron technology Doc. I looked into going this route years ago, and it seems the technology has advanced considerably since then.. Paying $200.00 for the battery, then (from what I have read on KZR ) having to "upgrade" my stock & working rectifier / regulator (50-100 bucks) on the shendgrean SH732 (from feeble memory) , THEN the need for another $100.00+ charger to keep from blowing it up... then combine all of these advantages to the fact that a smaller battery will simply not fit my stock battery box properly, I canned that whole idea and ordered a AGM battery off of fleabay for 50 bucks that works and fits properly in a bike that was designed to use one... It also will not puke electrolyte. ;)

I am skeptical when I hear claims that something last so much longer, and then combine the modifications needed (most folks aren't that savvy on electrical stuff) and buying the special charger.. What lasts the longest is to keep 40 year parts working using 40 year old technology that seems to have made it past Y2K intact.

This battery "upgrade" reminds me about 20 years ago buying the NEW florescent light bulbs that were supposed to last 5 years (CFL's),. They cost 5 times what a regular light bulb cost at the time, but the 5 year thing made it seem worth it. I don't think they lasted 5 months after I laid out the cash (~5 bucks each then) lol

Another advantage to the lithium battery upgrade.. you must have the >ability< to modify a 40 year old charging system that was more than likely not working properly when it was "upgraded".

Now, back on topic..

Getting out my crystal ball, and after looking at the only pic the PO posted of a aftermarket R/R on amazon. (not the SH -732) The OP more than likely has a bad connection, bad stator, bad battery, or the R/R is not wired properly. At any rate the OP needs to go through some charging system trouble-shooing procedures to eliminate any possibilities instead of replacing parts blindly. He should take a close look at the stator / wiring before he condemns a battery or R/R. As I stated in my first post on the topic.

I watched another shorter video I was going to link, but the guy was giving some insane voltages that he seemed to like., that will certainly fry the lithium battery.. I haven't watched this video completely, but seems ok in the beginning.

Battery voltage and stator current while the OEM regulator is shunting the excess voltage. This is at 3K rpm on my bike.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 25 Mar 2020 06:54 #821691

• alexromega
  • alexromega's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • first build and lovin it
  • Thank you received: 0
so i figured out the regulator i need to run my anti grav 8 cell. i need to get a 14-306 from ricks powersports. it turns out the r/r i got for my build which is a 10-305 and that isnt correct. so im working on getting it so i can get my charging system up to par..

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 25 Mar 2020 07:01 #821692

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I've always used a regular lead/acid battery in my bike. As long as the charging system is working properly, the water in the battery is not allowed to run too low, and the bike is run on a regular basis this type battery should last quite a long time. The battery in my bike today has been in there for 7.5 years and it still works fine. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Kz550 battery dies when I’m riding it. Can’t figure this one out 25 Mar 2020 07:34 #821696

• old_kaw
  • User

alexromega wrote: so i figured out the regulator i need to run my anti grav 8 cell. i need to get a 14-306 from ricks powersports. it turns out the r/r i got for my build which is a 10-305 and that isnt correct. so im working on getting it so i can get my charging system up to par..

WOW! ONLY 130 bucks, what a deal! Not to worry, they take payments. :whistle: lol

www.billetproofdesign.com/ricks-motorspo...awasaki-motorcycles/
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1