Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Many issues. Looking for help. 21 Mar 2020 23:41 #821378

• Camo
  • Camo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, an update on what is going on with my bike. I've figured out my electric start issue. It's a mix of the starter motor is dying, the start button had some corrosion right at the connection, and the ignition switch isn't connected very well causing arcing inside the housing. Blew 3 fuses before I figured that out.

With wiggling the key in the switch the headlight came on and had enough connection then that I was able to kick start it. The beast lives!!

I need to do some more mechanical work, but the electric issues are figured out enough to get me there now I think. Thank you guys for all your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Many issues. Looking for help. 22 Mar 2020 19:40 #821465

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034
Thanks for the update.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Many issues. Looking for help. 26 Mar 2020 08:56 #821811

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It was a great post Jim. I thought it was perfect as you wrote it. Someone else criticized its use of the term "native resistance" and offered the term "input impedance" as a substitute. There was never a dispute over the word "resistance" . "Input impedance" and "input resistance" would basically have the same meaning here, and neither one represents the idea of "native resistance".

Input impedance would simply be the resistance any device connected to the meter would see if it was trying to measure the meter as if the meter itself was a resistor. That would be in the thousands of ohms. The native resistance, in the meanwhile, would only be an ohm or two, or even less than an ohm (exactly as you described).
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Many issues. Looking for help. 27 Mar 2020 06:25 #821887

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 576

Camo wrote: So, an update on what is going on with my bike... and the ignition switch isn't connected very well causing arcing inside the housing.
With wiggling the key in the switch the headlight came on and had enough connection then that I was able to kick start it. The beast lives!!

Hope you're not Ridin' it in traffic. If the ignition sw decided to crap out for an instant or longer that could lead to unpleasant consequences.

An intermittent OEM ignition sw issue on a '72 Z1 basket case we did a couple years ago led us to explore the innards of early Kaw rotary ignition switches. What we learned is documented in the thread linked below. Among other things, like the rest of the bikes of that era, Mama Kaw spec'd a switch built to a price point, with all the limitations thereof.

If you decide to follow this path, take your time, work in a comfortable, well-lit area, admit that you might need glasses and, keep in mind these very small parts are under some spring pressure. We use an old cafeteria tray with raised sides for this type of work, and line the bottom with a few layers of newsprint so a small part doesn't "bounce" if dropped.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/606810-z-...-and-troubleshooting

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.