Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 09:30 #820419

• Bbd1983
  • Bbd1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Sorry about my post being a mess I'm still getting used to the forum format. Any feedback on the previous posts would be appreciated. Thread kinda went dead on those responses for a bit. Thx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 09:36 #820420

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
If the battery is garbage, that would be a good starting point to making anything run. Cars, lawnmowers motorcycles etc.. Over and above buying any coils. If it >was< running, then the battery died and is junk, it just >might< run with a hot battery. Stranger things have happened.

I do hope the PO isn't looking to quit his day job just yet. :S
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 09:41 #820421

• Bbd1983
  • User
Haha I hear that, his head went straight to coils mine starts at the battery. Wicked tattooer, average bike modifier. : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 16:11 #820433

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 275
Best to start with a good battery . Then check other stuff .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bbd1983

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 16:13 #820434

• Bbd1983
  • User
On it, batt plus is testing the one I have and I'm replacing as needed. Thx

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 16:22 #820436

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034
KZs need a really strong battery, especially if you use the electric start. A slightly weak battery will turn the starter like a champ, but will not have enough power left to fire the ignition.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bbd1983

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 16:35 #820439

• Bbd1983
  • User
Great to know, I was kicking it and the electric start button wasn't working but if I would touch the starter cable to neg battery terminal it would crank. Only got 2 cranks outta the old battery so fingers crossed on a new one.

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 21:27 #820450

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 484
If the start button is not working, that makes me think there is a chance you're not getting voltage to the coils or ignition module. Have you checked that those are both getting battery voltage?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 06 Mar 2020 21:33 #820452

• Bbd1983
  • User
Alot is pending on that battery as the button may have done nothing also due to the battery but I could've sworn he said the start button didn't work so that's why he did a toggle switch on/off and kicked it or could hold the starter cable to - on battery and it'd turn. I went to pick up the battery and it wasn't fully charged yet. No bad cell at least. I do wanna learn how to test coils and anything else pertinent though which is why I'm here as opposed to just taking it to a shop. The deal was take the bike and mess with it and then pay for it if it's nothing major. So, I'm hoping for a win and to learn how to do this myself and hand him some cash as he's giving me a really good deal.

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 07 Mar 2020 04:50 #820458

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034
With a classic (old) bike or car, it is a good idea to be able to perform the maintenance and basic diagnostics yourself. Most of the problems these bikes have are fairly simple ro prevent or repair. Even if you have to take it to a shop sometimes, at least you will have a better idea about how competent and honest the shop is.
Many people are intimidated by the electrical systems, but honestly, KZ systems are pretty simple and most of their problems can be solved with a few simple tools and a lot of patience. For the more unusual problems, there are several very knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum who can help you through them, should such problems arise.
A decent volt/Ohm/amp meter, a few small cleaning tools, a can of Deoxit D5, the factory service manual, and some forum help will get you through most anything you may encounter.
A bad starter button is not a rare problem. Dirt and corrosion can cause one to fail, as can a failed solder joint. Solder gets brittle with age and cause some maddening problems. Oh, I guess a small soldering iron and some high quality, non-adhesive electrical tape should be added to the list of tools and supplies. Hmmm, maybe some heat shrink tubing as well.
See how this goes? This is how we all get sucked in to this black hole we call a hobby. :whistle: :laugh:
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw, Bbd1983

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 07 Mar 2020 07:38 #820472

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Batteries Plus?? That would be the last place I would take a battery. You need your own charger, if that is all it needs. Our forum members give out some solid advice, but we usually have no idea of the level of technical knowledge the OP has, other than what can be gleaned from 3 vague postings. And all of the free advice in the world will never do any good, if is not followed through. I personally took several college technical courses totaling 4 years sitting in a classroom. ( mechanical and electronics) and EVEN paid off my student loans. In this day and age with internet access / information, most info is but a click away. A lot of us remember visiting libraries, buying hard copy service manuals. and doing real research.

This was my first step:

You need some basic stuff, like a meter, test light (can be fabed from a light bulb and some wire), small battery charger, and some basic hand tools. (My first semester EE training included the hand tools and meter before classes began. )

In looking at the pics, that bike was seriously neglected, and then butchered &"improved" by a clueless wannabe bike builder. If you don't fix the battery problems first, the bike will never run.. THEN to get it to run properly (looking at the pics) the exhaust is gone, and the carbs look all kinds of "improved", and I am sure the charging system is not working properly too. good luck with your quest for knowledge.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

First KZ1000 let's make it run! 07 Mar 2020 09:41 #820478

• Bbd1983
  • User
Battery that came with the bike is bunk so I bought a new one and a charger and maintainer for future. Charging now and we'll go from there.