Update to the 2002 KZ1000P project (electrical)

More
18 Jan 2019 21:23 #797056 by Dach Savage
Hi all,
Just wanted to post an update and share a problem / thoughts on the Chips bike (2002 KZ 1000P) rebuild project. The basic plan is to remove all the Pursuit equipment prior to proceeding with the mods I want to do. The weather turned nice yesterday so I got out in the shop to start the de-Chipping process. BTW, took lots of photos of the process so if there is any interest let me know and I will try and post them. Also my aim was to unravel rather than cut the police wiring to preserve with plugs etc. So I started with the obvious and disconed the Grote tractor lights in the back and removed them. Pulled the front turn signals and unplugged the fairing connector. Wow, look at me getting things done eh? Then I opened the left side pannier and as expected it was packed. No big deal, started unhooking plugs, cutting ty-wraps and freeing up the Whelen flasher and whatever that big black box is. Flipped up the seat and took off the left side cover and GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY what a mess (see pic). Ok, deep breath and started deinstalling the obvious police wiring. Besides the black flat two conductor cord ( battery maintainer jumper wiring) I found a 3' piece of brown "zip" cord off of somebodies wifes lamp running up under the coils. Hmm. The wiring looks like it has been worked on by half a dozen people with widely varying wiring skills to say the least. Tee taps and crappy butt connectors everywhere and I even found an orange wire nut or 3. Deep breath... 3 hours later got all the police wiring disconned and the wires pulled and am now down to the OEM wiring only. And I STILL had dozens of wires that no longer had a function and were in questionable condition what with splices and tee-taps and whatnot. This is where I stepped back, drank some coffee and started thinking. Since I really want to replace both the left and right handlebar controls with stock type civilian or nice aftermarket controls anyway I wondered if it wouldn't be possible to just find a replacement harness from the last year CIVILIAN KZ1000 and swap it out. Nice clean simple solution, not a lot of extraneous wiring etc. BTW, I would rather not strip a used harness out of a bike at the cycle salvage yard. So my question(s) are: has anyone done this to their police model, what is the closest civilian model to my bike and whats a good source for the wiring harness and stock handlebar controls or nice aftermarket controls? Am I just crazy? Thanks in advance for any input, thoughts or suggestions. Dach.

PS, yes I have the abilities and skills to make my own harness but I would rather just do what I do , make a few extra bucks and buy the correct wiring harness and install. Just because one can do something doesn't mean that one SHOULD do it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2024 15:06 #901419 by wco56
Dach, I know this an old thread, but if you are still out there I would very much appreciate seeing the pictures you took while doing the 2002 KZ1000P electrical work. I just bought one that had been taken apart and I’m trying to figure out the wiring, and how the harness is run through the frame. I could use the help that the pics would provide. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.