Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

charging system problem 20 Jun 2006 14:39 #55795

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Well guys i fixed all the oil leaks w/ genuine kaw gaskets 68.68 cents worths.I saddle the old tank up and head out,stopped to visit some friends stopped to gas it up,stop a little later,now the tank won't start,so i finally get the bike to run,acted like a dead battery get it back to my shop go buy a new battery, because the volts are down to like 10 volts dc and the battery is 3 yrs old,bike runs perfect for a day,now we're basck to the won't start shit again. I got the bike back to my shop today,started checking the charging system for problems,checked the volts at the battery w/ bike off 11.5 volts,checked at battery w/ bike running 12.7 volts rev her up 2 4 grand not much fluxuation in volts at all,maybe a couple tenths.So i disconnected the alt.wiring harness and checked the three yellow alt wires w/ the bike running checking for ac volts, checked all 3 in turns and came up with 20-23 volts ac on the idle,50-52 volts ac @ 4,000 rpms.Think the alt. is ok ???
I also checked the resistance in the stator , w/ the bike not running, set ohms meter to RX1 and stator checks out at infinite,jus the same as checking each yellow wire through ground.I'm thinkin the stator checked out for lunch what do you guys think about the situation. This bike is starting to pi$$ me off!!!
For you guys that don't know what im riding, the bike is a 1985 kawasaki ltd 1100,the only thing i have done to the electrical circuit is do away w/ the stock brains and installed a dyna 2000 box, dyna coils & pickup module.
Sorry guys i posted this in the engine dept., it should have been put in electrical category,i don't know how to move it so i one of the administrators wanna move it please do.

Post edited by: geerbangr, at: 2006/06/20 17:47
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

charging system problem 20 Jun 2006 15:17 #55802

• anarki650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
My 650 was doing about the exact same thing and I assumed it was the stator and replaced it, only to find out that it was the reg/rec causing my demons. (On the plus side now I have a thoroughly new charging system!)
09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

charging system problem 20 Jun 2006 15:27 #55805

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
fairly simple system, if all your connections look good, and you checked the stator i'd bet money on bad reg/rectifier they are pretty prone to failure. when you put the new (or different)one on, i think it is always a good idea to put some dialectric grease behind it and clean up any rust, for good heat disipation.
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

charging system problem 20 Jun 2006 15:30 #55807

• geerbangr
  • User
Anarki how did you check the charging system??? Did you just assume it was the stator ?? I know these charging system gremlins can make you chase your tail like a mad dog but i thought the reg/rect. was supplied w/ power out of the gen ?? I've got entirely to much money in this thing my old lady gonna go thru the roof !!!!! Don't let the shingles stop you honey !!!! lmaooooooo
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

charging system problem 20 Jun 2006 17:14 #55843

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...oc_download/gid,195/

Check out that link, it's in our filebase at KZRider.com It will give you a step by step path to check your charging system.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 05:57 #55944

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I chsed the exact problem for a year before I figured out it was the used accel coils I picked up on ebay. Three stators and a reg/rec combo unit later...
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 06:53 #55958

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
battery load test is the place to start.do not assume if you have 12.2 DCV at the terminals you can move on.

AC generator ( 3 yellow leads) produce 20-60 ACvolts GOOD!

regulator/rectifier test is tricky. the diodes need to be checked in both polarity directions. a good Fluke digital multimeter is necessary for this

Triple check all wires and connectors look for heat damage, stiff insulation, snaped wires, pulled intersections, any stress damage may conseal a problem

good luck these can get frustrating

and dont forget Amperage charges batteries NOT Voltage!!

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 13:21 #56054

• geerbangr
  • User
Okay i'm certain the problem is narrowed down to the stator,i removed the stator from the bike and testing the 3 yellow wires between one and other i have continuity,the manual says you should show .36-.56 resistance,no resistance during check,also when you check continuity between each wire and the center of the stator i'm getting a reading,if my brain is working correctly you shouldn't get a reading that way.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 13:48 #56066

• trippivot
  • User
stator leads 1,2,3 any not necessary to specify
1-2 0-1 ohm
1-3 0-1 ohm
2-3 0-1 ohm

1 -center steel ring open or OL (no resistance)
2 -center ring open or OL
3 - same thing
if you get any continunity from a lead to the center ring that is a big problem and needs to be rewound. same tests are used on all 3 phase stators

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/06/21 16:50

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 15:03 #56083

• geerbangr
  • User
hey trip thanx for the info,all three leads are showing infinite when checked w/ the center ring where you bolt the stator to the gen cover,jus using my past mech experience that isn't a good sign,the windings should be insulated from the steel structure that the windings are wound around.Does anyone know where i can get this stator repaired at???Kaw shop wants 330.00 for a new stator.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 15:24 #56086

• trippivot
  • User
infinite is the same as Open Line. I use a digital meter
and the windings need to have low resistance between all 3 leads and none,or infinite,open line to the center ring. yours may be checking out GOOD

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/06/21 18:30

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/06/21 18:32

charging system problem 21 Jun 2006 15:35 #56089

• geerbangr
  • User
trip do you have a phone # i could call you at ??
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: