Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake Light 28 Oct 2005 18:37 #5044

• giftofthegods77
  • giftofthegods77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm having problems with my brake light on a 79 KZ650SR. The tail light works, and the brake light always works when I depress the rear brake pedal. But, the front brake when pulled only sometimes works the brake light. It typically doesn't light when the bike has been sitting, but once I ride for awhile, it starts working, but it is touchy, and I need to have the brake lever pulled in all the way for it to work.

Is this a loose wire? I figure it can't be the bulb because it works for the rear.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake Light 28 Oct 2005 19:08 #5048

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Does your front brake lever have wires going to it? If it does then it has a switch in the lever assy which puts on the brake light when the lever is pulled, check the switch.

If it has no wires going to the lever then it has a pressure switch in the brake lines which senses pressure, and lights the brake light. check the wires going to the switch. The pressure switch can be checked with a meter to see if it is working also...

Brake Light 28 Oct 2005 19:17 #5050

• giftofthegods77
  • giftofthegods77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I will check that in the morning. Thanks.

Brake Light 28 Oct 2005 19:30 #5054

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 206
The 79 KZ650SR has a brake light switch located on the brake line splitter beneath the headlight on the lower fork clamp. It's probably gummed up, you can take it off and clean it out, then flush and bleed your brakes with new brake fluid.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/28 22:31
KD9JUR

• Page: