Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

wire woes 26 May 2006 17:45 #50350

• fightfire4life
  • fightfire4life's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
nice to know the headlight thing will keep in mind. heres my vin (jkakzha15cb520508) same couldnt find my modle either on buykawasaki i refrence the 1980 440 the have the diagrams for that so i go of that for images some the same others are off a bit. almost 9pm so i wont be of to the store tonight but after heat shrink i think i'm ready to twist. Saturday i'm dropping the motor in need to buy fuel lines spark plugs wires look good but might replace then start pluging the electrics in :unsure: i would like to know the heart will pump befor getting to far ahead! thanks your realy helping me to keep moving in the right direction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

wire woes 26 May 2006 22:13 #50387

• fightfire4life
  • User
quick question if any1 knows off hand i found a start switch on geezbay it fits a 78 550, might that work as a straight swap (looks the same but i'm new)

wire woes 27 May 2006 00:34 #50403

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
My 1977 KZ650-B1 is not on Bike Bandit either. Seems it was available in Canada but not available in the USA that year. So, I use the 1978 KZ650 US and its is 100% the same... so far.

Just a thought... if you can keep the original wiring, as much as is humanly possible, then you can still use your color coded wiring diagrams.

Your approach seems correct by me. Get that motor proved out ASAP. You may want to remove each spark plug first and lay the side against the motor and look for spark at each plug. That way if it does not start up you can immediately suspect a gas line feed or petcock problem or a carburetor type problem. If the gas flows out to the line to the carburetor then the carburetion is the prime suspect. Either way you will be moving forward. Chinese army doctrine says, "One step back, two steps forward". Go-get-em!

Best of success!
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

wire woes 27 May 2006 19:58 #50528

• fightfire4life
  • User
this should be in chat but i gotta ask is that pic him or do you look like broadway joe?
k so back to electrics, what does the rectifer do?

wire woes 27 May 2006 22:34 #50555

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
it converts ac output to dc current
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

wire woes 28 May 2006 05:31 #50568

• fightfire4life
  • User
thanks terry

wire woes 28 May 2006 06:52 #50583

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
or you could do what the p.o. of my buddies 250 rebel did.. make your own harnes using 12guage standard red,black wire aand SPEAKER WIRE!!!
:angry: bastids

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

wire woes 29 May 2006 22:45 #50863

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi FF4L,
Let's hear from you! Are you up and running? Did you find what the starter assembly you needed at the bone yard.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

wire woes 30 May 2006 16:52 #50982

• fightfire4life
  • User
sorry for the w8, holiday weekend nothing gets done round here. i havent gotten the right hand controls yet.. and im w8ing on a gasket set. harness is in and secure thanks for the tip on the heat shrink, stuffs seems like it will hold up well. way better than the electrical tape that was on it.today i got my new motor bolts from jeff at z1, so todays tuesday i should get my gaskets in on friday,which will mean motor goes in saturday (god willing) weather depending. if all goes well, i will be able to see what works and what doent. other than that things i noticed i;m in need of are hing pins for the seat pan, and steering stem barrings after opening it up i found the races top and bottom were missing some book says 19 top and bottom i had 12 top and bottom scary! i must say being my first bike i'm starting to understand why haveing an old bike is not only frustraighting but down right rewarding. well thats it for now

• Page: