Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

coil + ballast resistor 26 Apr 2006 16:39 #42940

• battymatty
  • battymatty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry 2 important questions i ommited:
As some systems run without the ballast resistor the coils must be getting an unstable power source of up to 14 volts, is this really ok as long as the coils are of sufficient resistance to protect the ignitor, ta- mat
Also with a weak/intermitant spark could one effect be that the engine revs cleanly under no load, but under load will only run smoothly to a certain rev range (in my case around 5000 rpm) after which it misses and bogs etc. Just wondering if this definatley indicates my mix is out as well. . . . . . . . . .. . .... . ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coil + ballast resistor 26 Apr 2006 16:55 #42944

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
12 to 14 volts is fine. The coils won't care about the stability as long as it's in that range.

Usually, assuming the spark is reasonable, and timed correctly, the strength of the spark should not affect performance noticeably.

If it does, that is usually an indication that the mixture is not right-on, or the engine has some condition issues.

coil + ballast resistor 27 Apr 2006 10:19 #43167

• battymatty
  • battymatty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
cheers for help, running the old 4 ohm coils now without ballast - much better spark, carbs are well out - about to write post on carb page concerning this..........