• Page:

TOPIC:

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 00:03 #17818

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I lost my low beam leaving work tonight. Started the bike and hit the lights and my low beam was real dim and going in and out. Switched it to high beam and it was steady and normal.

I've had problems in the past with the connector shaking loose in the headlight bucket so I opened it real quick and checked and the connection was fine.

I rode home with high beams and they worked great. Tried the low at home and it's dead completely now.

Should I just assume the low beam kicked the bucket and buy a new light? Any way to test using a 12v source? I got this halogen off eBay a while back for $5 and it's worked fine till now.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 00:18 #17819

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Oh, one more thing...if it is the headlight can you find these at your local auto parts house?

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 04:50 #17827

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you have access to a multi meter check the bulb for continuity,figure out which wire is ground the check the other wires through it!you can buy the bulb at auto parts store should take same bulb as mid 70s chevy pickup.goodluck,happy wrenching!(check your pm)

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 07:18 #17843

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Roland,
Did you buy a sealed beam headlight, or the kind you can replace the bulb? I have the replaceable bulb type (H4) and can find bulbs of varying wattages at any auto store, walmart, etc. cost $6-$10.

I have not seen a 7" round sealed beam on any store shelf in a long time. Like wireman said, the round sealed lights are found on older vehicle applications.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 08:12 #17846

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
believe it or not there is a difference between a bike headlight and a car. the bike beam is wider and you see better at night. i put a car light on my 1000 and changed it. if you have the cash go with a bike light. your lowbeam problem could be hi resistance in the handlebar switch. check that also. good luck.

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 08:50 #17853

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Roland...don't forget...don't rule out that it could be a vibration issue,Bud.I had that going on for quite a while...popping bulbs.I eventually narrowed it down,and after making more grommets for the headlight bucket,where it attaches to the ears,and I even applied some silicone to where the H-4 bulb gets inserted into the headlight...since I did all that,I haven't popped a bulb.
At first,I thought it was electrical,but even after I upgraded the reg/rec to the solid state one,it was still happening.It was the following season that I went for vibration.I'm pretty sure that I have it,but Who knows for sure...it's one of those things,I suppose.Everything else was tested,between Myself and Others,as far as "Spiking" went,and also with a new battery,I hooked up a multi-meter to the battery,and ran the engine at different rpm's,and watched for any serious changes in the voltage output(I used an analogue tester...easier to see sudden changes).
If You've tested all the electrics...take this into concideration,Bud...good luck.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 13:19 #17875

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Just a bad headlight. I checked it today with my VOM and hooked the light to a 12v source and low is dead.

Found the exact same Philips sealed beam at my local Autozone today for $8.99. B)

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 13:49 #17878

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
good for you! the car light i put in wasn't worth a flip. i'll check around next time.

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 18:10 #17929

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Most if not all replacement car lamps are made in China and don't appreciate the vibration of a motorcycle to say the least. If it goes bad again, you're probably better off getting the stock Kawasaki part for big $$$ or switching to halogen. Even then stay with motorcycle halogen bulbs as the others sold through discount automotive outlets wont last.
arobsum wrote:

good for you! the car light i put in wasn't worth a flip. i'll check around next time.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 19:01 #17941

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got some dumptrucks sitting on jobsites that spend half their time running down low maintenance dirt/rock roads with holes big enough to swallow small motorcycles and i dont have problems with headlights going out,i cannot imagine a motorcycle taking half the abuse they do unless it was a dirtbike and it would be a wornout dirtbike within short order!i use the same halogen headlights in them i use for bikes from advance auto parts havent changed a headlight in atleast 3 years,ive replaced many other parts but no headlights!goodluck,happy wrenching!:whistle:

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 19:17 #17943

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
This reminds me of the 'how to change a light bulb' post. :laugh:

Headlight testing (no low beam)... 14 Jan 2006 19:23 #17946

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah i know,were getting way to serious about trivial stuff sorry guys!:silly:

• Page: