Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 24 Apr 2008 19:10 #208858

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Wow, awesome, I can finally draw diagrams wider than 500 pixels and they show up! Woohoo! (Do you know how hard it's been to make every drawing I post narrower than 500pxl?)

Everything to the left of the light/accessories switch is off the top of my head, so some colors may be wrong and there are several things missing, but it's just to give you an idea of how it would work electrically.

I drew the ignition switch as a simple on-off without the park option, but this allows for redundant contacts to reduce the chance of failure.

The 20-amp switch has to be a decent bakelight-and-metal toggle. Don't use cheap plastic switches, they tend to melt in the on position (a friend learned the hard way, he had to pull his main fuse to turn off his bike).

So I guess you need to decide if you really want to tackle a complete re-wire or just try to neaten things up, or just troubleshoot the charging system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 25 Apr 2008 00:13 #208910

• snerff
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi to all. I could use some help on the bare bones wiring subject. I have a 1977 KZ1000 engine. I will be using it in a 2/3 scale WWll jeep. I need to do a bare bones wiring on it. It just needs to run and charge the battery. I am having a hard time finding someone locally to do that. Any help would be appreciated. I will post pictures on the build if I can ever get this engine running.
Thanks for your help, this is a great site.

Last edit: by snerff. Reason: spelling

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 25 Apr 2008 09:31 #208994

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

Hi to all. I could use some help on the bare bones wiring subject. I have a 1977 KZ1000 engine. I will be using it in a 2/3 scale WWll jeep. I need to do a bare bones wiring on it. It just needs to run and charge the battery. I am having a hard time finding someone locally to do that. Any help would be appreciated. I will post pictures on the build if I can ever get this engine running.
Thanks for your help, this is a great site.

Starter or no starter?
Here's both
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 25 Apr 2008 23:57 #209174

• snerff
  • User
really appreciate this, saves me a lot of headaches, thanks again.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 26 Apr 2008 00:34 #209176

• snerff
  • User
Again thanks for the great diagram on the KZ1000. I do have one last question. The points were replaced by a Dayna s. How would that fit into the diagram in place of the points? I hate to sound dumb but I did get confused about the points wiring. The wires out of the engine cover are red black and white.Thanks again.

Last edit: by snerff. Reason: additional information

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 26 Apr 2008 22:55 #209381

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

Again thanks for the great diagram on the KZ1000. I do have one last question. The points were replaced by a Dayna s. How would that fit into the diagram in place of the points? I hate to sound dumb but I did get confused about the points wiring. The wires out of the engine cover are red black and white.Thanks again.

Are you sure it's red, black, and white?
The instructions for the Dyna S show red, black, and green.

www.dynaonline.com/downloads/instruct/DS2-1_2-2.pdf

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: strokerpop

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 26 Apr 2008 23:50 #209389

• snerff
  • User
Not so sure now, I will check again and let you know, Thanks. As always, thanks for the quick response, I will check later this morning.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 27 Apr 2008 03:12 #209398

• snerff
  • User
I hope you do not get tired of this. I made a drawing of what comes out of the engine. 4 wires come out of the dayna s and go into a sleeve with 3 wires comming out of the other end. The only 3 yellow wires I can see come from the item on the right bottom of the page. I think I,m getting confused and thanks for putting up with me.
Attachments:

Last edit: by snerff. Reason: size

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 27 Apr 2008 09:22 #209474

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

I hope you do not get tired of this. I made a drawing of what comes out of the engine. 4 wires come out of the dayna s and go into a sleeve with 3 wires comming out of the other end. The only 3 yellow wires I can see come from the item on the right bottom of the page. I think I,m getting confused and thanks for putting up with me.

Here's some ID to what you have. If it's a Dyna S, you may need older or newer instructions. Some Dyna S models did come red, black, white. The one for the Suzuki GS shows white instead of green. Are you sure it's a Dyna S and not just part of a Dyna III ? How old is the Dyna? Did you purchase it yourself, or did it come with the motor?

Also, on the white/red wire from the engine, is it possible it's light green/red? That would make it the neutral switch wire.

I circled the wires which get tied together for the charging system. Each yellow from the rectifier goes to one black from the stator, and one of the colors from the regulator (pink, blue, yellow). It shouldn't matter which color goes to which yellow.

Here's a link to the Suzuki instructions:
www.dynaonline.com/downloads/instruct/DS3-1_3-2.pdf
Notice the black wire is shown firing the 2-3 coil. On a KZ, black usually fires the 1-4 coil. You may have to call Dyna to find out exactly what you have.
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 27 Apr 2008 09:30 #209478

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I added the neutral light and oil pressure light in case you want them. Also, are you planning to use the starter? If so, you'll need some sort of starter solenoid. You don't need a KZ solenoid, most generic starter solenoids will work.

1977 1978 KZ1000 bare bones for Snerff

EDIT 1/9/2019:
Mattylight Barebones Bare Bones Wiring Diagram
1977 -1978 Kawasaki Kz1000 dyna S for Snerff
Kz 1000
(This was the final version. Intermediate versions are lost.)
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 28 Apr 2008 23:56 #209965

• snerff
  • User
I,m not sure I said thank you for your work, so Thank You again. I will be working on it soon.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 29 Apr 2008 08:26 #210014

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
No problem. Good luck on it! :)