Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Nov 2007 18:29 #181103

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
thats fine, you guys, I wasnt trying to insult anyone. I was only pointing out that this schematic wasnt really a true electrical schematic, at least not one that I have ever seen, I get what you meant by it now, thanks for trying to dumb it down for us poor ignorant electricians. And yes, there is such a thing as a complex circuit, but in your case Mr Patton, it may be referred to as a "Hey have y'all seen my hammer" type of work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Nov 2007 20:27 #181125

• mattylight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just so you know, to those who really are not into reading electrical diagrams for a living, this is very clear. I had no trouble understanding what I needed to do from the picture. It may be a "have you seen my hammer" type of a wiring harness, but as long as the bike runs properly, that is what matters most. It is simple, not complex, that is it's value. IMHO.
matt

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 15 Nov 2007 02:56 #181136

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
xstreamcanadian wrote:

I was only pointing out that this schematic wasnt really a true electrical schematic, at least not one that I have ever seen, I get what you meant by it now, thanks for trying to dumb it down for us poor ignorant electricians. And yes, there is such a thing as a complex circuit, but in your case Mr Patton, it may be referred to as a "Hey have y'all seen my hammer" type of work.

No. You were not pointing out whether or not the drawing was a schematic. You were saying the drawing was incorrect by arguing that the start button was drawn as an electrical short. I was trying to highlight how it was NOT an electrical short. Sorry for trying to explain things.

Schematic or not, the point was to show Matt how to wire things up. I don't believe there are any errors in that respect.

As for Patton, his technically accurate posts speak for themselves... and he certainly doesn't need anyone defending him, but if you are insulting him with the "hammer" comment based on his post, then it is my fault he posted it. I don't recall the exact wording, but I was asking if my drawing was in some way unclear or "complex". He was just answering, and making an inside joke to me (which made me laugh). Unfortunately I edited the post to take a different direction and make things clearer rather than to simply ask if it wasn't clear.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/11/15 06:44

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 15 Nov 2007 18:20 #181258

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
jeez you guys sure get all riled up! No offense there loudhvx. Just trying to make sure I got what you were trying to convey.

You can all sit down now boys, and roll your sleeves back down, I dont reckon I am lookin' fer trouble.....

All joking aside, I appreciate your effort in clarifying it for me

thanks

xc

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 11 Apr 2008 12:25 #205772

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
looks like my kind of wiring,nice clean and simple!B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 13 Apr 2008 00:47 #206045

• 650 in Vegas
  • User
Great diagram. Does any one know what changes (if any) I would need to make for this setup to work on my 79 650 c with points ignition? I have a veritable rat's nest of wires right now (including a few that do not connect to anything), and I would love to scrap it all and start over. Also, does anyone know of a good place to pick up all of the wire and hardware that I am going to need to pull this off? I prefer brick and morter stores to internet if possible.
79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Apr 2008 17:49 #206499

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Your drawing helped out more people than are replying to this post.
I had a go at this wiring and i must say it is just what i wanted.
Thanks. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Apr 2008 23:18 #206569

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
650 in Vegas wrote:

Great diagram. Does any one know what changes (if any) I would need to make for this setup to work on my 79 650 c with points ignition? I have a veritable rat's nest of wires right now (including a few that do not connect to anything), and I would love to scrap it all and start over. Also, does anyone know of a good place to pick up all of the wire and hardware that I am going to need to pull this off? I prefer brick and morter stores to internet if possible.

There are many differences in the 1977 kz650 C model from the 750 and 550. Mostly charging system differences. Luckily, I have a bare-bones diagram for that bike as well, but I need to know if you will keep the starter or go kick-only. Unfortunately, the 77 650's must retain a battery, even if going kick-only.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 19 Apr 2008 00:35 #207515

• 650 in Vegas
  • User
loudhvx wrote:
There are many differences in the 1977 kz650 C model from the 750 and 550. Mostly charging system differences. Luckily, I have a bare-bones diagram for that bike as well, but I need to know if you will keep the starter or go kick-only. Unfortunately, the 77 650's must retain a battery, even if going kick-only.

I appreciate your offer to help, but I need to clarify that I have a 79 650 C, not a 77. I don't know what difference if any this makes but I thought I had better clarify. Also, a little background information might be useful. I am having a charging issue and the bike will kick over just fine for the first several days after I remove the battery and charge it on an external charger, but sooner or later the battery gets drained down to the point that even the kick start won't turn her over. If the 79 is different than the 77 and I can get away with changing a few things around and eliminating the battery, that would be great and I will ditch the starter and just go kick-only. If I have to keep the battery in the loop though, then I may as well keep the starter in place. Also, I know that this is a "bare-bones" thread, but I'm really not looking to get rid of anything (other than the battery, if possible) rather I am flirting with the idea of trashing the rat's nest of wires that I have and starting from scratch. Has anyone pulled off a 79 650 C with no battery? If so, is ther a wiring diagram out there that I could follow? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 19 Apr 2008 03:40 #207523

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Sorry, I don't know what I looked at that made me think you had a 77.

The 79 650 is definitely a candidate for going battery-less, but I haven't actually done it on the that bike. The charging system is similar to the late 1970's KZ 400's, and I know they can go batteryless.

The most important thing is that the bike must be well tuned, and beable to start reliably on the first or second kick. Going batteryless will only make a hard starting bike harder to start.

All you need to do is setup a switch to kill all of the accesories and lights other than the ignition and regulator/rectifier. That way, all of the electrical energy from the kick will go into the ignition.

You need a capacitor wired in place of the battery. It should be from about 5000uF to 12000uF, and be about 50v.

If you want a simplified diagram retaining most of the stock components, I can draw that too.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 24 Apr 2008 17:27 #208829

• 650 in Vegas
  • User
Thank you so much for your help loudhvx. You seem to be one of the bike gurus that make this awesome site such a crucial resource for us guys that are just starting out. I would love to take you up on your offer to draft up a diagram showing the stock components and where I could put in the switch and capacitor to go battery-less. Also, I needed to know what kind of switch to use. Any suggestions?

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 24 Apr 2008 19:03 #208855

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Well, if you're going to keep the bike close to stock electrically (except battery and starter), I'm not sure if it's worth the effort just to fix a charging problem. I have started on a diagram, I'll see if it will post.

It would be a lot of work to re-do the whole thing. We should get the charging system fixed first anyway just to know what the problem is.

EDIT 1/9/2019:
Mattylight Barebones Bare Bones Wiring Diagram
1979 Kawasaki Kz650C3 batteryless for 650inVegas
Kz650C Kz650 C3 Kz 650 C 650C3 650C

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.