Really need your HELP guys!!! WiredGeorge? ANYONE? 01 Sep 2006 09:41 #73871

• chopstar
  • chopstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
kzbikeman wrote:

Hope you get so lucky.

Me too!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Really need your HELP guys!!! WiredGeorge? ANYONE? 01 Sep 2006 18:08 #73955

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
First, you have been given A LOT of advice. The main jet falling out check is good. The fuel cap not allowing venting is good. I recommend you REMOVE the fuel filter and try running the bike without it. Most of the rest of the advice... well, I would consider most of it unlikely. It ain't pilot related. It isn't an air leak because of cracked rubber bits or bad seal. The latter items will NOT cause the symptoms you describe the first three sure could. Also look for a KINKED gas hose. That will restrict gas flow and sure make you feel like you are falling on your face at a certain RPM.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Really need your HELP guys!!! WiredGeorge? ANYONE? 10 Sep 2006 18:56 #75784

• chopstar
  • chopstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I wanted to post a follow-up on this, just for the sake of the knowledge base.

It's truly amazing what a thorough carb cleaning can do, even on a bike that you may think has "clean carbs". I pulled the rack shortly after this post was started, and I didn't get the opportunity to clean them for a week or so. I took my time, utilized a multi-tray organizer for the parts, and used a combination of Berryman's Carb Cleaner, compressed air, and good old fashioned elbow grease. As stated earlier, even a "clean" set of carbs can have some hidden gems that will make a bike run like shit.

After reassembly, I was amazed when the bike fired right up on the first bump of the starter button. Albeit this bike has always run great, the driveability problems had really rattled me, and I got way too worked up over something that a simple carb cleaning resolved easily. Now the bike runs better cold, warms up quicker, and has a noticable increase in throttle response that I already thought was awesome to begin with (before the recent issues).

It's probably one of those things that you should do every season, just for peace of mind. I've been out of the motorcycle scene for a while, so maybe you guys already knew that.

Anyways, I really appreciate you guys (especially Wired George) for being paitent with me in my moment of stupidity. I should have just did the job before asking the question.

Thankfully, today I got a few hours of ride time - maybe the last before she goes up for sale. I'm gonna miss the girl.

Thanks again guys.

• Page: