Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

pod style air filters? 17 Aug 2006 13:18 #70329

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Jerka wrote:

Okay, so let me get this straight...every time I get off the bike I need to switch the fueltap to off?
Is that on the petcock? Every night or every time I get off the bike?

If your petcock is vacuum operated, there is no 'off' position, just 'On' , 'Prime' and 'Reserve'. You generally leave it 'On' unless the bike has been sitting some time and then you switch to 'Prime' to fill the carb bowls. Or when you run out of gas in the main tank and need to switch to 'Reserve'

If I go with the Uni filters, do I need to rejet? If I do need to rejet, how do I know what size jets I need and where do I get them, also how much $ for new jets?

Sorry, I'm a total Noob, but things are starting to make more sense...if it's any consolation.

You probably need to rejet a size or two larger, but don't do that until you see how it runs and you do a plug chop. Z1Enterprises.com may have jets for your carbs,
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pod style air filters? 17 Aug 2006 13:23 #70332

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Jerka wrote:

Okay, so let me get this straight...every time I get off the bike I need to switch the fueltap to off? Is that on the petcock? Every night or every time I get off the bike?

If I go with the Uni filters, do I need to rejet? If I do need to rejet, how do I know what size jets I need and where do I get them, also how much $ for new jets?

Sorry, I'm a total Noob, but things are starting to make more sense...if it's any consolation.

for your 400 you WILL have to rejet your carbs to run pods. for just a replacement filter in the stock box you dont have to. i would have a qualified person rejet your carbs if need be. wiredgeorge could answer some questions for you though. kz400jets can be found at www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ400-D3-1976-CF0 not on the list but if you contact them they have access.

your petcock isnt vacuum and you dont have to turn the fuel off at every stop just over night.
down is on, up is reserve, and left is off.
if you start to run out of gas switch to res and get to the closest station.ive run out 1 time and even on the res i bareley made it.(about 2 miles from where it started puttin)

Post edited by: mykznme, at: 2006/08/17 16:28

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

pod style air filters? 17 Aug 2006 13:47 #70337

• bsktlkkr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
spend the loot on the k&n's... sounds like i've got the same set up, i put a dynajet kit in and synched the carbs and the extra bit is noticeably there

pod style air filters? 17 Aug 2006 16:29 #70402

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I got around the turbulence issues associated with most pods by getting double pods. They're oval shaped with two outlets, so that 1-2 share a pod and 3-4 share a pod.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• Page: