• Page:

TOPIC:

VM26 Carbs with high fuel level 09 Jan 2024 10:56 #893823

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680

Here's some crazy for crazy thinking "outside the box" stuff if one would want to try it? I've been doing it for years with great results. I've not bought a paper bowl gasket for years either. I o-ring the bowls, no more brown staining down the sides. Use a Float set from a Honda VF750 82-83. Yes it's Keihin and one would think the diameter/pitch of thread would be different but interesting enough it's the same. This allows a bump to "newer" stuff, viton tipped needles compared to the brass/steel of the originals. Just a slight modification to the protrusion whereas Honda used a small screen, other than utilizing the "hook" that goes around the float tang to needle, you're set.
Mikuni 786-15005 Viton Tip float valves work well.  I rebuilt a set of carbs a while back with them and they sealed well.  They only come in 2.0 and 2.5 size, whereas KZ bikes use 2.3 size.  I'm quite certain that 2.0 is plenty of flow.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VM26 Carbs with high fuel level 09 Jan 2024 16:50 #893835

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
The PN matches those of the standard KZ VM float.  Anyone ever try these?

Attachments:

VM26 Carbs with high fuel level 10 Jan 2024 04:35 #893843

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Just a little info before You spend your money. That Float you pictured i'm going to assume won't benefit you at all. Note that because the carb castings this was made for the float pin towers were closer together, used a different/shorter float pin. The floats were angled to clear the upper casting moldings. And one float was smaller to clear the pilot casting tower. Don't know what year carbs you're working on but note early Z1 72-somewhere in 1974 the castings utilized two pilot towers, one not used though. This would also cause an interference issue on top of everything else. Keep up The Faith, something is out there for ya. And BTW the early Z ramp carbs came stock with a 2.0 Float seat, changed to as mentioned, 2.3 in the KZ900.  
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

VM26 Carbs with high fuel level 13 Jan 2024 10:28 #893943

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
Just checked a set of VM28 pumpers, and the fuel level on every carb is at the low end of the height spec after adjusting the floats like I do on every set.  These things have a mind of their own.  In this sets case, it's a good thing.  

• Page: