Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 14 Nov 2022 01:48 #876799

• alexp1289
  • alexp1289's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone I've got a 1983kz550 m1 ltd shaft-driven bike and I need advice on rebuilding the carburetors. They are the tk26 carburetors and they haven't been cleaned in probably 10 years. Where do I start in terms of a decent kit that will have everything I need? What is the best method for cleaning them properly so they function like new? I've never rebuilt carburetors before but I have a friend that's going to help me and any help you can provide would be great as I'm going in blind to this. I'm new to working on bikes but I have lots of experience working on cars so I'm confident in my ability to do them I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 14 Nov 2022 08:48 #876815

• GpzGreen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I am afraid a kit with everything you need for them is not out there, I could not find one.
Your best bet is to get them apart and clean everything and keep things in order, maybe in an egg carton, carb 1, carb 2 etc.
Then bring the parts and the carbs to a bike shop that has been around for a long time so they can pick through their misc. O-rings and find the exact fit for everything.

That is where I am on the TK26 carbs.  I was lucky to find a shop that has been open for 40 years.  Most likely you will have to order the bowl gaskets/O-rings though.

Maybe others have better info. The hardest ones to find were the pilot plug O-rings.  Take your time and do a complete/thorough job.
1982 GPZ-550

Last edit: by GpzGreen.

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 14 Nov 2022 16:24 #876841

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 14 Nov 2022 18:59 #876844

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
My advice is to take the carbs fully apart, and rebuild them properly.  Use your camera as needed, and take photos as you go.  Most people are intimidated the first time they do such a job, but it's really NOT difficult.  Do an inspection on all the parts, particularly the brass jets and such, and reuse all parts that aren't butchered by the previous owner.  What ever you do, don't force anything.  If, for example, the pilot screws seem stuck, use some PB Blaster or similar, let them soak, use some heat as necessary, and get the parts loose without destroying anything.  If the screws on the joining bracket are super tight, get an impact driver, or my favorite, some IMPACTO screwdrivers from Vessel.  Consider the tool purchase an investment.  They are quality pieces that will likely last your lifetime.  

With everything apart, soak the carb bodies and jets and such in Carb Dip.  Berrymans works awesome to clean the carbs internal passages.  Also get some carb spray, so you can shoot through all the various passages and verify they are open.

During assembly you will need new O-rings.  I'm not sure what sizes you need, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.  Message me as needed and I'll help.  Get some calipers first, so you can measure all the passage sizes and O-ring grooves.  Again, this stuff isn't hard.  Most guys freak out and just want to buy "carb kits", seemingly to solve all there problems.  But it ain't so simple.  Trust me on that and good luck.

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 14 Nov 2022 22:24 #876848

• alexp1289
  • alexp1289's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So should I not bother with this kit here? www.z1enterprises.com/carburetor-kit-kz5...0%20LTD%20SHAFT/1983

1983 kz550 m1 ltd shaft carburetor rebuilding 16 Nov 2022 14:12 #876910

• GpzGreen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

So should I not bother with this kit here? www.z1enterprises.com/carburetor-kit-kz5...0%20LTD%20SHAFT/1983

I got that kit but only used 2 Orings out of it, the bowl gasket being one of them.  Might want to open up the carbs first to see what is going on. 
If they are all original then all of them will need to be replaced at this point.
1982 GPZ-550

• Page: