Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 08:35 #856492

• kz650guy123
  • kz650guy123's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok when everyone stops laughing at the nipple thing !! ;-)
Seriously where are they ? The bike is I think a 79 kz650. Serial starts KZ650BE11
Finally got a set of sync gauges and can't find where to hook them up.
I see nipples on the two outer carb holders.
The petcock gets vacuum from somewhere ? Am I suppose to hook up to that ?
That last carb I see nothing ?!?!!?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 09:10 #856495

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 368
The number you provided is for the engine, and not the frame.  There should be a ID stamped into the heck of the frame that would indicate what year and model the frame began it life as. 

If it is a stock set up, there should be a port on each of the rubber carb mounts that sit between the carbs and the engine head, those that are not being used to control something should have a rubber cap over them.   If it is a 79 and was intended for the US market the bike came with a clean air system that makes use of 2 or these ports.  Again if stock the vacuum petcock runs off of a port on #2 carb not on the carb holders.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 10:01 #856497

• kz650guy123
  • kz650guy123's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You are absolutely right  gd4now
I should have know that build date would be on that sticker. 8/79 is the confirmed build date.
I still only see the two ports that went to the stupid clean air nonsense.
I will grope around and see if the center 2 carb holders have NIPPLES somewhere !

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 11:54 #856500

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

The early kz650 had the four vacuum nipples pointing down with caps over them.  For the 79/80 with the air injection system, they flipped the two inside boots (cylinder 2,3) so the nipples point up, and use those two for the air injection solenoid.
Those are the nipples you need.  You need to disconnect the air injection vacuum hoses and attach the carb sync tool there.  Then put the vacuum lines back when you're done.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 12:09 #856501

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674

The early kz650 had the four vacuum nipples pointing down with caps over them.  For the 79/80 with the air injection system, they flipped the two inside boots (cylinder 2,3) so the nipples point up, and use those two for the air injection solenoid.
Those are the nipples you need.  You need to disconnect the air injection vacuum hoses and attach the carb sync tool there.  Then put the vacuum lines back when you're done.

Attachments:

79 KZ650 sync hook up problems where are the nipples ;-) 10 Oct 2021 12:29 #856503

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 368
Again if it is a 79 bike for the US market not only did it have the clean air system but most likely an accelerator pump which has deeper carb bowls which decrease some of the access to the carb holders on #2 and #3.  I know that with my old eyes, lots and lots of light hepls me. 
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Page: