• Page:

TOPIC:

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 14 Dec 2020 09:31 #840026

• vabi
  • vabi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
a time has come for me to install an airbox on to my GPZ. I've decided to take the advice and loose those pods.
I know that it is a wrestling match to get it in. I've measured that I'm 20 mm short on space to begin with.
If someone can give me some advice on what goes on first, how to do it... Carbs are off to.

Also, there is an opening at the box (red circle in the picture). I don't see where this should go.
Does it stay open?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 14 Dec 2020 09:40 #840027

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1854
Only advice I can help with is make sure the 4 rubber boots that connect the air box the carbs are soft and pliable. Whole lot easier to address that now.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vabi

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 14 Dec 2020 09:47 #840029

• vabi
  • vabi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Mikaw wrote: Only advice I can help with is make sure the 4 rubber boots that connect the air box the carbs are soft and pliable. Whole lot easier to address that now.

I have a heat gun ready for that. If that wouldn't be enough I'll buy new ones.

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 16 Dec 2020 06:42 #840155

• srsupertrap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I have the GPz550 manual but it does not describe H1/H2 airbox install in detail. For removal the manual states the carbs are removed from the right side. Mikaw made a good point, #1 intake boot looks sorta deformed so best to replace those now. I suspect the red circled item on the airbox is a flexible boot that can be removed for ease of install and yes it stays open.

I have no H1/H2 experience; Loudhvx does so PM him. It also "appears" the airbox is installed from the left side based on the shape.
1981 KZ550 D1

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 03 Jan 2021 14:08 #841134

• lateapex911
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I've been dealing with this recently as I try and get an 82 Gpz 550 running.

The airbox is a notorious PITA. The opening which you circled seems to fit against nothing in particular, draws air from behind the battery box area. If you look inside that area, there is a filter in a foldable holder, triangle shaped. Then on the other side there is an opening that feeds the larger pleated air filter. It's a strange arrangement. I wonder if it has to do with sound? You'll note that both of the filters are in "sub boxes" which can be removed with a few 10mm bolts.

I don't know if it's even possible to get the box off with the carbs on, as I've been taking the carbs out for service. But if you want to try, I would remove the filter sub boxes then the rubber airbox to carb boots. It might slide out, but my sense is that the left side has a better chance. It's crazy tight!

As hard as it is getting it all out, getting the boots back on is harder! heat, maybe some soapy water helps,. I start with the center carbs first, and try and get the boot installed in the airbox first. There's a little knob on the airbox at 12 o'clock, and a cutout on the boot to align it properly. I find using a hook tool to be helpful. (90 degrees).

Plan on not being in a hurry, having good light and just go in knowing it's a half hour of frustration, but it can be done. .

Jake

gpz 550 unitrak 1982 airbox instalation 04 Jan 2021 00:29 #841171

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Box in carbs on, heat up the boots with hot air and roll back the carb end of boot giving a little more space, fit the boots in air box middle two first as each is done i roll the end over the carb mouth, if boots are rock hard buy new ones.

• Page: