Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

petcock problems 25 Sep 2020 10:56 #835644

• Ltd fan
  • Ltd fan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
SO..I had the flooding carb /petcock thing (again) on my latest 81 750 ltd .
Now Ive had 4 of these machines and had this prob twice . 1st time it seemed to be only when on side stand (as it appears many others have had) . Well before i resolved it I sold the bike and I DID advise new owner of the problem . which he seemed ok with .
Anyways .. 2nd time is my latest 750 ltd .
After checking the internet for solutions and finding myself on here . it didnt get me anywhere fast . offered solutions didnt work (for me)
So what i did was send off for new petcock kit . stripped ,cleaned and replaced all rubber bits with new . refitted tank. A a aannnd ..FFS..!! same problem .!!
BUT after stripping petcock 2nd time I noticed in the plastic centre base plate for the diaphragms on one side is a thin tiny 1mm channel in the moulding from outside to inside . I suspect to balance the vacuum whilst running and to equalise /negate the vacuum when engine switched off.
Did I suspect that this tiny easily missable detail might (if blocked by shit ) cause a remaining constant vacuum even after switch off ..? HELL YES ..!!
Also a badly aligned diaphragm on re-assembly will cause rubber Diaphragm to block this tiny air conduit.
SO...!! yepp after cleaning out this little channel and ensuring diaphragm fitted precisely .. It solved my carb overflow problem . Why it only did it on side stand ..? Don't know . Do I have a flooding carb due to faulty petcock ...NO. !!
Try it yr self see if it works for you , and good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

petcock problems 25 Sep 2020 11:39 #835647

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
I cant currently find it but there was a member that just recently figured out how to convert the vacuum petcock over to manual. Maybe another member can help locate it. Just as an FYI

Glad you found out and fixed your problem. Thank you for the intel.

EDIT. Found post.....kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/608044-manual-petcock?start=0
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ltd fan

Last edit: by Mikaw.

petcock problems 25 Sep 2020 16:01 #835658

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Did you buy OEM Kawasaki parts to rebuild the petcock? In my experience that's the only way to go. Aftermarket petcock rebuild kits are quite often JUNK, similar to carb rebuild kits. I rebuilt my 750/4 petcock with OEM parts and it works perfectly.

P1010520 by nessism , on Flickr

petcock problems 25 Sep 2020 16:30 #835660

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
You are right about that little vacuum bleed channel. Like every other part of the petcock, it needs to be surgical room clean. Polishing the face of the lever and the oring seat is important, too.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ltd fan

petcock problems 26 Sep 2020 00:44 #835671

• Ltd fan
  • Ltd fan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Yehh it was /is an aftermarket generic jobby . But hey its doing the job right now . How long it lasts ..?? yehh well thats a different question ..lol

• Page: