Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 07 Apr 2006 08:32 #37558

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
KZjames: Do you have the KHI manual? I do, but it is at home and I won't be able look at it until tonight. In it, is a diagnostic flow chart that might assist in this matter. If no one chimes in with some ideas today, I'll have to get back tonight or tomorrow.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 07 Apr 2006 08:48 #37562

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Mcdroid wrote:

steell wrote:

That's understandable, you simply never exceeded the range of the current programming, so it's still injecting the same amount of fuel. Get the head ported and run pods and see what happens :D

It's easy to refute my statement, just show me how the computer determines airflow, if the computer can not measure airflow then how does it know it needs to compensate for the additional airflow?

Electronic fuel injection is a hobby of mine, and I enjoy arguing, so do your best :D :D

Well, if the bike never exceeded the range of the existing programming with a set of Kerkers and ran the same, isn't that what I said regarding changing any of the DFI parameters?:blink: It apparently didn't matter whether you are running stock or aftermarker exhaust (they are both within the range of the programming...which is what the Kawasaki dealership said when I went to Kerkers in 1983. Besides, in those days, the technology wasn't there to re-map. Nothing else was changed...airbox was stock. When I went with the Kerkers, I wasn't after performance enhancements (and it ran the same, with or without an aftermarket exhaust), merely looks and I wanted it to sound faster:laugh:

I was not disagreeing with you, I was just explaining why that was so.

The easiest and cheapest hack to an efi system is to drill a hole in the top of the fuel pressure regulator and install a screw to adjust the preload on the regulator spring to increase the fuel pressure (turns it into a adjustable fuel pressure regulator). This was mentioned in one of the above posts (I just added a little more detail).

Not only does the Kerker look better, sound better, and add a (little) performance, it's also a lot lighter than the stock exhaust, and lighter is always better :)
KD9JUR

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 07 Apr 2006 08:57 #37563

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
steell wrote:

The easiest and cheapest hack to an efi system is to drill a hole in the top of the fuel pressure regulator and install a screw to adjust the preload on the regulator spring to increase the fuel pressure (turns it into a adjustable fuel pressure regulator). This was mentioned in one of the above posts (I just added a little more detail).

Not only does the Kerker look better, sound better, and add a (little) performance, it's also a lot lighter than the stock exhaust, and lighter is always better :)

This is why I like this site...I learn something new almost every day:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 07 Apr 2006 09:57 #37578

• kzjames
  • kzjames's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ah yes, the book...
I think I have a Clymers manual.

I will be delving through the flow charts this weekend. if I can diagnose, I will fill you guys in..
thanks

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 11 Apr 2006 05:34 #38573

• kzjames
  • User
I am a little embarrased by the answer here. but, I thought I owed it to you since you were all so willing to help.

seems as though oil level and condition have much to do with how this bike runs. The oil level was low and think like sludge ( I was told when I bought it that it was just changed.... shame on me for not changing it anyway)

:blink:

So, Fresh oil and a new filter seems to have solved all my issues... except I still do not have the exhaust that I want.

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 11 Apr 2006 05:36 #38574

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
My apologies to you for not getting back to you sooner...but oil level? Hmmm...I'll have to ponder that for a while :ohmy:
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 11 Apr 2006 09:18 #38613

• kzjames
  • User
I am surprised as well...
I was dreading the trouble shooting as I have had many other projects to work on... since I had not changed the oil before on this bike... that is where I started. as I was working through the trouble shooting guide in the clymers book I saw an entry having to do with the oil level and condition as things to consider for the injection system (not sure how they are tied in together) as I mentioned the oil level was good... well a little on the low side. but black and think like sludge. so change of fluid and filter and becuase I was not really wanting to do more last night I started it up. ran very rough (as it had) for about 5 min. sputtering wheezing.. then started to smooth out.... then held idle (better than it ever has for me)..

Now I have no idea how the injection system is connected to the lube system.... but this is my story and I am sticking to it.

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 11 Apr 2006 12:40 #38665

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I change the oil in my pickup every 3k to 5k miles, and it always seems to run smoother afterwards.
Never gave much thought to why, and don't really care, it's just my subjective impression :)
KD9JUR

exhaust change on fuel injected bike 11 Apr 2006 12:52 #38672

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35

Any leads as to where on the regulator in use on the 1100 B2/3/4 on might make this spring shortening hole? Mammy's little baby like's shortening...

Talked myself into ordering those funky looking Venolia pistons and will need a little more fuel to go with them.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/04/11 15:55
Attachments:

• Page: