Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 19:19 #36267

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok...It was years ago when I took the carbs off. Now after a rebuild, I'm putting them back on, which is something I've not done before. I've attached a pic. But it just doesn't seem to be on all the way. Does the boot need to be flush against the carb? I have gingerly tapped the carb set with a wood 2x4 and rubber mallet to gently force the carb intake ports into the boot. (sorry if I'm not using the right terminology here.) If it needs to be flush, then do you need to just pound the heck out of it? It seems to have gone as far as it wants to go. Just didn't want to break anything. Your ideas and observations are most appreciated. Thanks.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 19:33 #36278

• wireman
  • Visitor
those rusted stripped out phillips head screws are the problem!pull those off immediately and replace with some nice new ones so i can sleep tonight!:woohoo:

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 19:51 #36289

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree on the screws, but they look all the way on to me. Make sure both sides are like that. You shouldnt need a 2x4 to do it though. They can be tough, and frustrating though. I usually spray some WD40 around the carbs and the boots and just push them on, straddling the bike and using my knnes for more push when slipping the carbs on.

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 20:17 #36309

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
When I put my carbs back on my bike (a few times, several cleanings..PO didnt run an air filter!) I would stand in front of the bike and pull the carbs into the boots, they were a real tight fit, and needed a good pull.
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 20:23 #36313

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
LMAO...way to JUMP right ON THAT,Wireman!!(rusted screw)
MAN...that IS the first thing that I spotted too...such a nice clean-lookin motor,and then there's that...uhhh...that SCREW!!LOL.
No offense,Bud,but Ya...lookin awesome,but some new manifold clamp screws are definately in order(on order?)LOL
And it does look like the carbs have seated properly into the boots...looks good...nice job.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 20:32 #36318

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Just to jump in here, if you look closely at the picture you can see the groove that the boot is supposed to lock into.
Be sure the scews are really loose. Using your finger wipe some vaseline on the ends of the carbs and push them in until they pop in all the way. There is a ring inside the boot that locks into that groove you can see in the pic.
Les

And yes the boots will be flush with the carb bracket when they are in all the way.

Post edited by: the milkman, at: 2006/04/02 23:34
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 20:35 #36320

• wireman
  • Visitor
he must have blown the budget on those fancy new turnsignals! :sick: (did i mention i hate turnsignals:sick: ?)i think ill send him 4 shiny new screws with nuts just to rub it in!:woohoo: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 02 Apr 2006 21:31 #36341

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Geez...I think the Milkman is right...sorry,but You might have try pushing them on a bit further.After looking at Mine...yes...that groove IS covered by the boot.Make sure the screws ARE loosened off good(new ones,LOL)and DO lubricate the inside of the boots to help them "POP" into place.
Grabbing the outside carbs and pushing from left to right(and rocking them up and down) is how I put Mine on.You should feel them pop into place though.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 03 Apr 2006 05:26 #36374

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Skip... The screws fit into the welded on nuts on the clamps. They are standard pitch 5mm screws. I buy stainless steel at the hardware store. OK... pull the carbs out of the boots. Spray some WD40 in and PUSH. You have to keep pressure on the #1 side while pushing the #4 side or they will pop out. You just need to push and they will seat all the way. The manifolds should touch the carb holding bracket on the carb assembly!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 03 Apr 2006 05:59 #36378

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Man! I am so embarrassed!:blush: Of course I wasn't planning on using those screws! It's the first thing I noticed in the picture and even thought of NOT sending the picture! But it was late and I wanted to get the post out. Can't slip anything by you guys. I had purchased new screws already. I just wanted to try getting these carbs in and was dumbfounded at how difficult it was for a newbie to do it. Just don't give me some dumb nickname over this. The milkman gets the engineering prize for noticing the groove. That's what had me concerned. I thought it should be in past that. I'll use a little more wd40 and try it again. Will post a new picture with NEW screws! ;)
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 03 Apr 2006 18:19 #36519

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Finally got it! Lots of well placed WD40 and a rubber mallet with a 2x4! Closely note the new screws. Thanks for the help.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Putting on my first set of carbs-not sure this is a right fit. 03 Apr 2006 19:11 #36542

• wireman
  • Visitor
hey those screws should be black not chrome,and those are allen head instead of phillips head screws in case covers and ....,just kidding!:whistle: :woohoo: looking real good!goodluck,happy wrenching!

• Page: