Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carbs for 650/750 conversion? 03 Apr 2006 19:25 #36548

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Fish, I have never seen a Suzuki VM26 w/accelerator pump. What model was it used on? I have very complete documentation on the GS750 and GS1000 including ID marks and such... The GS750 carbs are totally bizarre, fwiw... they started with HUGE 2.5 cut outs and 25 pilot jets in the first year... They list the carbs by engine number or VIN (not sure which it is) but not by year model as they cut over during model years to different jetting set ups. They ended up in 3 years with skinny little #15 pilots. The internals of the early 750 carbs were all much richer. Perhaps they were responding to EPA stuff but it is almost impossible to get the early 750 carbs tuned at idle.

When I convert a GS carb to Kaw style choke, I just change the choke arm and get rid of the Suz style choke arm (no lever and cable mount for choke) and drill/tap a 3mm hole for a Kaw holding screw using a Kaw choke lever/arm. This saves me the time of stripping a Kaw set for the carb holder...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs for 650/750 conversion? 03 Apr 2006 19:26 #36549

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Oh yeah... to answer the question... I would add BS32s or BS34s which are a lot easier to find.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs for 650/750 conversion? 05 Apr 2006 04:19 #36827

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I've had 2 78 GS 750 E models with 26 pumper carbs. They both had the cable operated choke.
I used 1 of the sets of carbs on a CB 750 SOHC. I put the 26mm pumper carb assemblies on the carb mount off a GS 500 and it fit like it was made for it. They needed to be rejetted (they were too rich) and worked great when installed.

It looks as dnestell is doing a performance engine build. Why would anyone want emissions inspired carbs (C/V carbs) on a performance build? I havent seen any C/V carbs on any drag bike that did any good 1/4 mile times.
Fish

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2006/04/05 07:20

carbs for 650/750 conversion? 05 Apr 2006 06:29 #36865

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Performance oriented build doesn't mean that the bike isn't a street bike. The build this guy is doing is definitely not a drag bike type build. The 34s offer outstanding performance throughout the rpm range and after personal testing, I really like the way they run compared to VM29s... throughout the rpm range... If the guy is interested in performance carbs, he can stick some 33 smoothbores on his bike but will not have much luck tuning at idle and will probably go crazy with flat spots. The CV carbs were not used just because of smog considerations but performance as well as they are capable of flowing a lot more air/fuel than the round slide carbs. Round slide carbs will work fine if he wants to use them, I was just giving MY personal favorite... I have tested about EVERY conceivable carburetor that will fit on a 650 (or 900/1000) and I probably like the BS32 the best for a stock 900. They work just SUPER across the rpm range and are so much sweeter than smoothbores, I probably ride them 3 times as far when road testing. The 34s are a bit on the big side for a stock 900 and need to be tuned carefully... If you have performance cams, the extra air/fuel will make a nice hit over the 32s but stock cams don't need more than the 32s can provide. I mentioned the 34s are they are far more readily available as the choke conversion from Suzuki BS series carbs is very painful... (if you want to put a Kaw style know choke on).
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: