Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 10:38 #35960

• ratmeister
  • ratmeister's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, my 1982 spectre just got pods. They are the foam filter ones purchased from JCWhitney. I installed then with no problem, other than removing the airbox...

Now the bike idles great, just like with the airbox, but when I drive it, it cuts out at mid to high rpm's. I am sure there are some adjustments to make, but where do I start? I will probably take it to a shop to get it tuned, but any advice from you guys will help me be more informed when I do take it in.

Also, if any of you live near Valparaiso Indiana, I would be more than happy to pay a fellow KZ-er than someone else...

Thanks in advance...Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 10:45 #35962

• KZReeder
  • User
Hey, I'm over here in South Bend, IN... I was looking at those filters on JC Whitney as well... I don't mean to hi-jack your post but could you post a picture of your pod setup give me a few details on your experience with JC-W and how the parts worked. Sorry, I don't have any advice but I'm keenly interested since I'm going to do the same or similar mod...

Thanks,
Claude B)

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 14:55 #35990

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Did you rejet? If not I believe the rule of thumb is 2 sizes for each mod. (Pods, exhaust)
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 15:58 #36000

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Rejetting is definitely in order

JCW is a DECENT company to work with, and uni pods (the foam ones they sell) are decent for the price (although I had a fluke backfire through the #4 carb that melted one of mine, so I'm using my spare Emgo's again)

Once you take your stock airbox and all things connecting to it off your bike, you just slip the pods over the necks of the carbs and tighten the clamps down. You can cap the ports on the tops of the valve covers with some vaccuum caps, and any other vaccuum lines you removed, do the same thing..
Chris

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 16:03 #36002

• ratmeister
  • User
Thanks all, a few more questions.

What size jet should I buy?
Where can I get them?
Do I need to rebuild the carbs or just re-jet (it ran great before the change)?

Also, there was a hose coming from the metal housing under the carbs and airbox that was connected to the air box, it seems to push air out as I rev the engine, do I cap that or put a small filter on it to let it breathe?

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 20:15 #36056

• AzKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
wiredgeorge gave me this link the other day when I asked about some missing vaccum lines on my 650, maybe it will help you to.

www.wgcarbs.com/88724.html

-Brian

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 20:53 #36068

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
ratmeister, the hose you mention under the airbox is a crankcase breather. You can route the hose back behind the crankcase towards the swingarm or you can put a small filter on it. Dont stopper it.

What type of carbs do you you have ? Keihins or Mikunis? I have Keihin CV 34s and 810 engine, etc. My secondary main is 135 and secondary main air 62 and it runs well with this setup. Stock is 125 and 60. If you are lucky yo have Mikunis and jets are easy to find but I cant recommend anything for them.......maybe someone else can.

..............................................................................................................
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 21:00 #36072

• ratmeister
  • User
JR, I have Keihins, the stock carbs on the 750. I will let the shop know the settings you used, as it sounds like your bike is very similar to mine...Thanks for all the info!

I think I will try to find a small breather filter for the crankcase...

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 01 Apr 2006 22:59 #36094

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
reborn told me that K and N filters website sells a keyschain pod filter meant as a novelty that is an actual filter that fits on the case breather, plus it lookd super cool. check their website.

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 02 Apr 2006 07:39 #36129

• rammy
  • User
you can go to murrys or auto zone for those small filters for the crank case breathers they are only $10
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 02 Apr 2006 18:09 #36247

• ratmeister
  • User
So am I going to need a dyno stage 3 jet kit or what should I look for? Also, where is a good place to get what I need?

Just changed to pods, idles great, runs bad... 02 Apr 2006 18:33 #36251

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
No need to buy a kit IMO. Just get some larger main jets, like suggested, 2 sizes up is a good starting point. They come in 2.5 increments, so if you have 110s in there right now (I don't know, it will tell you on the jet) you can try some 115s. Once you change the main jets, take it for a spin and see how it runs. Pull the plugs out after your ride and check the color on them, you want a nice light tan/chocolate. If you have a flat spot in the mid range, you can raise the needle a notch and see if that helps.
Most Kawi dealers will stock some jets, but you might have to convince the 18yr old behind the counter to find them for you. Bring one of your jets with you for reference, my experience is you're on your own with most dealerships. You could also try www.z1enterprises.com and actually get great service:lol:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• Page: