Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with this bogging 10 Mar 2006 15:33 #29953

• Alex_KZ1K
  • Alex_KZ1K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So I fixed the fuel leaks and put everything back on. Just a refresher for those who don't know, throughout the down season, I installed a MAC 4-1, pods, and cleaned and rejetted my carbs. It ran perfect last year, but now it's bogging and popping all through the rev range. I must have done something wrong...

Oh, I haven't been able to syncronize them... I found out that ordinary vacuum gauges don't work for this application... they broke. They were jiggling so wildly back and forth that they all broke. :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with this bogging 10 Mar 2006 17:22 #29970

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Could it be an ignition problem?

Help with this bogging 10 Mar 2006 18:20 #29985

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
I'm not ruling that out, but it ran perfectly 3 months ago when I parked it... It's almost like it's getting way too much fuel.

Help with this bogging 10 Mar 2006 19:30 #29996

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Alex_KZ1K wrote:

Oh, I haven't been able to syncronize them... I found out that ordinary vacuum gauges don't work for this application... they broke. They were jiggling so wildly back and forth that they all broke. :blush:

You need to have some kind of damping system if you use ordinary guages. It lessens the pulsing. If I get a picture of the one I built I'll post it. It's just PVC pipe. Works good.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/03/10 23:03
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Attachments:

Help with this bogging 11 Mar 2006 07:11 #30085

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Usually the carb sync gauges come with little restrictors to dampen the action of the gauge. It is usually a small plastic plug with a tiny hole in it that gets placed in the end (carb end) of the tube.
Did you do any pre storage before storing (stabil in the tank? ) You may need to re clean your carbs. If the bike is getting too much fuel, that where I would start. If they are C/V type carbs the slides may be stuck open also.
Fish

Help with this bogging 11 Mar 2006 07:59 #30092

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
;) That contraption looks like something from my college days- wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!

Help with this bogging 13 Mar 2006 06:47 #30595

• rammy
  • User
I just ran into the same problem this last weekend.Only other thing that is different from you problem is that my bike only sat for 3 weeks or so.I found that i had a spark plug go south on me cause a really bad miss and though it was something i had done re;cleaning the carbs.changed the 1 plug and it all cleaned up and down the road I went .So I would start with the easy things first.(new plugs)and go from there. Good luck
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Help with this bogging 14 Mar 2006 08:25 #31005

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
rammy wrote:

I just ran into the same problem this last weekend.Only other thing that is different from you problem is that my bike only sat for 3 weeks or so.I found that i had a spark plug go south on me cause a really bad miss and though it was something i had done re;cleaning the carbs.changed the 1 plug and it all cleaned up and down the road I went .So I would start with the easy things first.(new plugs)and go from there. Good luck

A new fuel filter wouldn't hurt either.

Help with this bogging 14 Mar 2006 12:13 #31089

• fergyfer
  • User
Alex, the first thing you said was "OK, I fixed the fuel leaks". When did you do this, and was it running good before you fixed the fuel leaks?

How did you fix the fuel leaks...?

Help with this bogging 14 Mar 2006 12:30 #31095

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
fergyfer wrote:

Alex, the first thing you said was "OK, I fixed the fuel leaks". When did you do this, and was it running good before you fixed the fuel leaks?

How did you fix the fuel leaks...?

Well, when I said that I hadn't actually taken it for a ride yet. The t's that feed the carbs were leaking, so I seperated the carbs and wrapped them in teflon tape. It was starting up and idling fine before I messed with the pilot screws.

Help with this bogging 14 Mar 2006 12:46 #31099

• fergyfer
  • User
OK, I'm trying to make sense out of all this so bear with me. I remember you talking about the t's leaking. So, you removed the carbs to fix this problem, right?

Above, you mentioned about trying to sync your carbs. Was this after you fixed the leaks?

Last thing you said in your reply to me was "it was starting up and idling fine before you messed with the pilot screws". When did you mess with the pilot screws? After you fixed the leaks or before? And, if it started and idled fine before you messed with the pilot screws, why were you messing with the pilot screws?

Help with this bogging 14 Mar 2006 15:04 #31130

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
From your college days, was it also filled with a little water ? Say no more.... LOL.. We made one that had hoses for five people... LOL...Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

• Page: