Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 17 Feb 2006 17:33 #24574

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hairdrier should work great, pulled the stickers right off of my 84GPZ.

Strange, you have just about the same problem that I do, except for the sooty black plugs. And mine is bone stock. Under 45 degrees, it won't start if it has sat, like overnight or while I was at work(parked in the shade). Usually though I let it sit in the sun all day, it'll fire right up. If it is in a garage overnight, that helps. If it is raining, it helps. Haven't tried starting fluid, but bet it would help.

Slowly working my way through the culprits, I gotta try the coil mod, probably the same way that people run relays on their car headlights.

If I miraculously figure something out, then I'll let ya know.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 17 Feb 2006 19:19 #24592

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey guys,
I spent a few minutes in the Archive tonight. Click the button up in the blue bar on top of this page. A few riders have had the cold starting problems like you.

if you enter "cold starting" in the box, and check "subject only" you will get 3-4 ideas on what to try.

Good luck!
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 19 Feb 2006 15:06 #24957

• gpzrox
  • User
Looks like we are on to my culprit: compression check showed low 100 numbers, and the subsequent leak down indicated hissing from valves: time for the valve cover to come off and look-see at the valve clearances.

Being a 30+K miles/22 year old motor, I'd put even money on valve clearance OR valve guides, but I know which one I am hoping for. I haven't been using oil, so that should be a plus on the compression check.

Now that I think about it, I forgot to teaspoon of oil each cylinder and see what happens. :S.

Ah well, got time until the valve cover gasket comes in....
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 22 Feb 2006 11:50 #25633

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Tower_Monkey1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Ok guys I finally figured it out. I cant believe it, it started with sooty dry black plugs and ran great. Came back to the garage and checked the plugs and they were clean as could be. It pulls the front wheel off the ground with very little effort. It idles smooth at about 900-1,000 rpm. The real test will be in the morning, after it has sit in a cold garage all night... Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 22 Feb 2006 12:19 #25645

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
X X

Those are crossed fingers !

:laugh:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 22 Feb 2006 12:29 #25650

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So what was it?

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 22 Feb 2006 16:46 #25713

• MaddMaxx
  • User
Hey man at least yours starts. The guy I bought mine from had replaced the air box with individual k&n's and if it runs it sputters and pops, but it hasnt even done that for a week.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 23 Feb 2006 06:19 #25835

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Tower_Monkey1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I went to the garage this morning as one last test to see if it would start. It started right up with just the choke. I pulled the carbs yesterday and re adjusted the float level. my feeling is that it wasent getting fuel to the choke tube and thats why it wouldnt start without using starting fluid. But now its fixxed. Thanks to all who helped in the precess... Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 23 Feb 2006 08:51 #25887

• Rickman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
golf claps, bra'! good job!
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

• Page: