• Page:

TOPIC:

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 12:49 #653492

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
So my Dad has a Z1 set up as a slick-&-wheelie-bar drag bike. He's offered to give it to me, which is really cool. I'd likely return it to a street bike, but I would want to run it first. It seems a shame to tear apart what my Dad built without even trying it once.

The problem is I've never once run a bike down the strip. I've been riding for 20 years, but this seems like a really big first step. I've never done a drag start on a bike, or a even a burnout for that matter...

Just to paint the picture, the engine is near 1200cc with big Lectron carbs and other Gast work. The frame/bodywork is all stock but has an extended swingarm with struts and wheelie bar and about a 6" wide slick tire. Other goodies include an air shifter, slipper clutch, and two stage rev. limiter.

When I last saw it run about 10 years ago he was getting 1/4 miles times of something like 10.65 @ 123 MPH.

So my question to those with drag racing experience. How would you recommend someone work up to a 10 second bike? How long would you expect this to take? Would it be crazy to start on this bike and work up to a full power start? Say, drop the revs and feather the clutch or something? It is feasible to practice starts in an empty parking lot (assuming it was far from houses)?

The real problem is that I don't want to make this my long term hobby. I just want to run my Dad's bike full out a few times to appreciate what he made, but without hurting myself or the bike.

So be straight with me. Should I give up and pull the engine my dad built and preserve it (build a curious piece of furniture around it like an end table or something), and just put the rear shocks and street tire back on?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 13:36 #653496

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
you can do it :evil: !

if you have a parking lot with enough room to launch and plenty of shut down room .you can practice there.
otherwise find a local track that has test and tune times and find some racers to pick there brains on launching.

i would start off by getting accustomed to doing a burnout.
hold the front brake bring the rpm's up to 8000 area and start letting the clutch out,the rear tire should brake loose while you sit still and roast the tire.after the tire is spining keep the brake held and bring the rpm's back down.

after you are used to that you can do a burnout and start letting the brake out while the tire is smoking.
it should feel pretty greasy in the rear end and prolly go a lil sideways,it's no big deal just keep it lit and the front end pointed straight until it hooks up and goes straight then open the throttle and start feeding it gears.

whatever you do do not get scared and shut the throttle off after letting the brake out doing the burnout it can throw you out of control.
ease out of the gas after it is smoking and you will feel it start to grab.once it grabs you can go full throttle.

not to get into too much family business but can't your dad tell you how to launch the old beast?

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 14:11 #653501

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

531blackbanshee wrote: ...can't your dad tell you how to launch the old beast?

Oh I certainly hope so. :)

I was just looking at the pictures in zukdave's dragbike pic thread, and it got me to thinking. I was curious to hear what folks here had to say.

The project would take a lot of work even if I knew what was doing. Getting the bike tuned up, getting the proper gear, finding the time to make the 300 mile trip home each time I wanted to take a practice spin. If the consensus is that it will take a real time investment to get to a place where I can safely run it full out, I might stop daydreaming and focus on other projects... :)
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 14:31 #653504

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I would NOT try to learn this in a parking lot! That sounds rather dangerous when you consider public places and people in the area. There is also the legal aspect of it. I started with my 650 at the local drag strip. No one says you have to start wide open. If the bike is street legal ride it some to get to know it. Take it to a test and tune track, start of on the strip like you would on the street. Get to know the track and how everything works together with the light tree and such. Build off of that.

SAFETY!

I have my dad's bike and my mom's bike. You don't want to see it get trashed because you got overly anxious! Do it, enjoy it, take care to do it safely so you can do it again!!

Now for the next important part: PICTURES! Z1's are cool and even cooler with a history, but super cool with pictures included.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 15:19 #653506

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Drag racing is fun but it gets expensive fast if you want to take it seriously.

A big part ot of it is getting off the line fast, and precisely judging the 'christmas tree' timing lights.

I did a few runs on a tired old GSX1100 et, the times were poor but my reaction times good, i put that down to years of being a musician and having quite a good sense of timing.

That 10.5 bracket on an old kz you are racing with the big boys, good luck and have fun.

There are 'run what you brung' meetings where you can use a streetbike, maybe get a few runs on your daily ride before you work up to your old man's bike.

That drag race state of tune will be unsuitable for road use so have fun on it while it lasts.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 12 Nov 2014 18:19 #653527

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
DOHC When I started running my 650 at the track I hadn't been
on a bike at the track in over 25 yeaar's but here's my take on this.

With tthe slider clutch find a place you can play with it I use an industrial park
near me after hour's for a test track.
Slowly bring the rpm's up till the bike start's to pull and check the tack.
Set the two step low side 500 rpm's below that and the high side 1000 over that.

With NO burn out push the button and turn the throttle wide open and let off the button and launch the bike
it'll spin the tire a little and the high side rev limiter will shut it down before it can get out of hand.
Keep doing that till you get comfortable on it then start adding 500 rpm
at a time to the high side.
After doing that a few time's go to the track for a test and tune night and talk to folk's running bike's
most will be more then happy to help you learn and make some mild pass's
you ain't gotta be ricky racer first time out.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 15 Nov 2014 14:53 #653772

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

zukdave wrote: With the slider clutch find a place you can play with it...

I like the idea of using the rev limiter and slider-clutch to ease my way into the launch. Assuming the two-step has enough adjustability...

Zukdave, if I still lived down in your neighborhood I'd ask you for some pointers (and the address of your industrial park), but I moved back up north so I missed my chance. I regret that I never managed to get down to S. Congress to meet up. Toddlers take up too much time...
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 15 Nov 2014 15:40 #653775

• zukdave
  • User
Should be no problem with the two step.
Ya to bad we never got to hook up.
If you google map's Cobb tuning here they do high end euro computer
reflashing and tuning I use their parking lot.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
63" wheel base.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 15 Nov 2014 15:45 #653777

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Before getting excited about racing itId take some time and work from front to back fixing/replacing what needs it as you go.
Id definitely replace the tires before running it anywhere.And if its a pumped up 1197 motor with lectrons/big cams and ported head hooked to a 900 bottem end youll find out really quick why it has that slick/wheelie bar on the back! :woohoo:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 15 Nov 2014 18:13 #653797

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

zukdave wrote: If you google map's Cobb tuning here they do high end euro computer
reflashing and tuning I use their parking lot.

I've been to the COBB office. That's a pretty busy area. I figured you had some place out by the airport or way up 183 or something...

PLUMMEN wrote: Before getting excited about racing it Id take some time and work from front to back fixing/replacing what needs it as you go. Id definitely replace the tires before running it anywhere.

Yeah, I assume it will need some work. It's been sitting for 8-10 years now. My guess is it's not too bad, as it's been carefully stored, but the tires would need some consideration. Knowing my Dad, he wouldn't let it go anywhere without a thorough going over.

But I have a good sense for how much time the mechanical work would take. It's the time to learn to ride it that I don't have a handle on. Maybe it's not that hard, but as you say, a 1200cc Z1 is no joke... :)
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 16 Nov 2014 07:06 #653821

• zukdave
  • User
Weekend's that area is dead.
On the backside is were I practice launching and getting to the 1-2 shift.
Not enough room for a full pass but plenty of room for that and it's all flat concrete
so it hook's pretty good for on the street.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
63" wheel base.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 16 Nov 2014 17:50 #653880

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Of course! 1st thing! Make sure tires are good! And the brakes work.
But when you get to the 1st track, just start at the line, slide the clutch with gradual rpm's, granny shift it through 1st and 2 maybe 3rd gear and get the feel of the bike. Don't reach any redline or launch it hard Really? Just play with it slowly! Most tracks give you 3-4 time trials. Or use the practice test & tune night!
This is a no-brainer. Anything under 11 seconds at the 1/4 will get your attention.
Use your common sense!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• Page: