Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brakes options 04 Jan 2013 16:00 #565856

• leitz
  • leitz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I want to upgrade my Kz650 brakes for track days-vintage festivals and in the future some vintage races in the 70´s 750 class with 2 piston max calipers and 300 max disc diameter rules. Next my house just opened the Ap Racing distributor for Spain and i think is the moment to do it. The guy explain me CP2696 41 mm piston calipers will work perfect with my 5/8 master cilinder. Not cheap. Also seeing other calipers commonly used like Grimeca and Brembo P08 like Turboguzzi uses on his Gpz with Brembo SC pads as i have read somewhere
I have 275 mm discs 5mm thick on bike, 5/8 mc and have no idea where to find fork adaptors for my bike
Wich is the best option: permormance-price-pads-easy fitting?
All suggestions are welcome
The following user(s) said Thank You: aviliora

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by leitz.

Brakes options 07 Jan 2013 10:03 #566201

• leitz
  • User
Just bought Ap Lockheed 2195 calipers with adapters in good condition. Now i´m looking for a classic master cylinder 5/8 or 16 mm. Ap racing mc cost 540€ in distributor so i will see other options like Brembo.
Some racing bikes with Ap Lockheed calipers:

Attachment 1.jpg not found

Attachment 2.jpg not found

Attachment 3.jpg not found

Attachment 4.jpg not found

Attachments:

Brakes options 11 Jan 2013 07:04 #566819

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
congrats, just dont want to ask how much they cost..... but hey, bling is nice, no?

have no idea what pad compound you will need to run with them, depends if you are running SS discs or cast iron and quite critical if you really race and not just parade.

in italy we are only required to have the reservoir in one piece with the M/C (not separated), plenty of japanese M/C form early 90's are like that in case you dont want to spend.

adaptors to the fork legs are not that hard to do. just cut them by eye first in 10mm plywood, play around and when you reach the right holes location, cut in 10mm Al. Use spacers to bring caliper center line spot on the disk.

Brakes options 11 Jan 2013 10:48 #566835

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
I had these 2 calipers on the e bay for 7 days. Only $14.99? No bids. I paid 3 times that a year ago for a project that fizzled out. They probally cost $3-4 hundred at the dealer.
Nothing some 1/4" aluminum plate can't hand fabricate up to use on most anything.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Brakes options 11 Jan 2013 15:44 #566873

• turboguzzi
  • User
Hei z1kzonly, give leitz some credit.....

He races in Spain and in most classes of european vintage racing, double piston (meaning side by side ) calipers like yours are not allowed. Same situation in Italy, that's why i use Brembos P08s

I know AHRMA in the USA allows 17" wheels and modern brakes on older racers but in europe things are different.

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

Brakes options 11 Jan 2013 23:21 #566924

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

z1kzonly wrote: I had these 2 calipers on the e bay for 7 days. Only $14.99? No bids. I paid 3 times that a year ago for a project that fizzled out. They probally cost $3-4 hundred at the dealer.
Nothing some 1/4" aluminum plate can't hand fabricate up to use on most anything.

Ill give ya $50 for the pair B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Brakes options 12 Jan 2013 07:22 #566958

• dbsuperbiker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
...AHRMA allows modern rotors, but calipers are restricted to 2 pistons.

for a vintage parade bike on a budget, try the iron 2 piston Triumph T140 calipers...plentiful, cheap, and with a coat of gray paint they look like the antique Lockheed racing version.

Last edit: by dbsuperbiker.

Brakes options 12 Jan 2013 13:54 #566992

• nanno
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Knocking up the plates is really as simple (mine came off a CBR600, but the same Nissins were also fitted to the Bandit 600):

Cheers,
Greg

Brakes options 12 Jan 2013 15:36 #567003

• leitz
  • User
I bought a pair of Lockheed 2195 with adapters and 290mm diameter 6mm thick iron discs perfect for the calipers. All really cheap, i think the man who sold it never heard about these calipers.
Also i´ve order on ebay Ebc HH pads but i´m not sure if they are compatible with iron discs. Maybe I try on track with Ferodo CP1 (new Cp211 compound) but not know how they work in these old bikes. I may not need more than HH... don´t know which pads are generally used on vintage racing.

Attachment 1-copia-copia.JPG not found

Attachments:

Brakes options 12 Jan 2013 18:13 #567016

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519

wireman wrote:

z1kzonly wrote: I had these 2 calipers on the e bay for 7 days. Only $14.99? No bids. I paid 3 times that a year ago for a project that fizzled out. They probally cost $3-4 hundred at the dealer.

Ill give ya $50 for the pair B)

Thank You Wireman! We have a deal!
I'll type to ya soon.

Marty
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Brakes options 14 Jan 2013 14:55 #567335

• turboguzzi
  • User

leitz wrote: I bought a pair of Lockheed 2195 with adapters and 290mm diameter 6mm thick iron discs perfect for the calipers. All really cheap, i think the man who sold it never heard about these calipers.
Also i´ve order on ebay Ebc HH pads but i´m not sure if they are compatible with iron discs. Maybe I try on track with Ferodo CP1 (new Cp211 compound) but not know how they work in these old bikes. I may not need more than HH... don´t know which pads are generally used on vintage racing.

Attachment 1-copia-copia.JPG not found

looks like a very nice setup, and if you got them for cheap, then i am jealous! :)

in my experience, the new ferodo CP pads likes cast iron, hates SS, so you're good. just dont assume that the first M/C you try will work, you might have to try a few sizes till you find the right leverage ratio/power/feel.
having consistent braking power lap after alp into a race is really important, take your time to look for the right setup/pads. some circuits are so hard on brakes that its almost impossible to find a solution.

Brakes options 15 Jan 2013 10:04 #567449

• leitz
  • User
Good to know. Thanks for your replies guys
Like wrote Turboguzzi those Tokico aren´t allowed but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway they are for sure a big improvement for the originals
Can anybody identify this 290mm disc? it´s an aftermarket part? (i think white area have been painted by the previous owner)

Attachment DSC01251.JPG not found

Attachments:

• Page: