Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 07 Aug 2022 15:17 #871835

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
Looking for a reservoir for the front master cylinder on my A1. I'm after the larger reservoir from the dual disc model (can be seen here: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c...asaki_Z1000_1977.jpg). Would be nice to find one in Europe - shipping will probably be a bit much from the States.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 11 Aug 2022 08:13 #872056

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 252
calum, If you can't find this you might try searching for a reservoir for a 75/76 Honda Goldwing they look very similar and probably made by the same company. I'm using a front master rebuild kit from a Goldwing in my 76 KZ 900 LTD.

Just a thought.......Good Luck!!
Below is a pic I pulled from the internet of a Honda Goldwing Master.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, calum

Last edit: by Moose1800.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 13 Aug 2022 05:14 #872145

• calum
  • User
Thanks Moose. That looks like a pretty good option as there are a lot more of them around. Could even replace the whole master cylinder and put mine in storage until I find a stock reservoir.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 29 Apr 2023 06:58 #883947

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
Well after rebuilding all the brakes on my 77 KZ1000 I noticed the reservoir for the front brakes leaking at it's base, I think it's the o-ring leaking.

Like calum I can't find a replacement, I don't think these are meant to be removed the round plastic disc at the bottom of the reservoir seems you would need to damage it to gain access to the screws holding the reservoir. I think I'm gonna try something that may be a waste of $ and buy the repair kit for a 76 Goldwing from Brakecrafters.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 29 Apr 2023 09:10 #883951

• calum
  • User
Moose: you can remove the plastic disc by pulling on the nub in the middle carefully with some pliers. If you pull straight up then the tabs bend out of the recesses in the reservoir and the disc pops out. 
I have a Goldwing master cylinder here and the reservoir is smaller [EDIT: it's actually from a 1978 CB750F2] - it doesn't fit in the Z1000 reservoir. If you get stuck I have my old reservoir - it has a couple of chunks out of one side but doesn't leak. I'd probably want to sell the whole master cylinder though as the rest is pretty useless without the reservoir...

This is the good side (the reservoir isn't screwed down in the picture - was waiting on some parts so it hasn't been assembled yet):

Here's the Goldwing CB750 cylinder. The reservoir is smaller and the cylinder is 11/16"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Moose1800

Last edit: by calum.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 29 Apr 2023 16:12 #883967

• cmore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I have used all manner of after market and 'other brand' master cylinders over 47 years and from my experience oem Kaw TOKICO brand brakes are the best when properly rebuilt. Several years ago after alot of leg work, trial & error I located proper size industrial butyl rubber orings for all late 70s master cylinder fluid cups - these are not cheap vinyl o/s junk. The U.S. spec 77 A1 front master and KZ750 twin rear fluid cup have a threaded base that screws in to body and requires 2 very specific orings for top & bottom recesses. The U.S. spec dual fr. disc master as well as the same era r. master requires 1 oring. The 1978 - 80 trapezoidal fr. masters use a very thin oring - which I stock - but if the oring recess is pitted it may not work for you. These orings are not found in any parts books and are not offered as a Kawasaki repair part (for some odd reason). If you have proper measuring instruments and a commercial industrial supply nearby, you can probably figure this out yourself. Email is best This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - price is shipped - 78 - 80 front trapezoid $6 - 77 / 78 fr. & r. master $8 - threaded cup style (pair) $11
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd, Moose1800, Bogie1

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 29 Apr 2023 18:53 #883978

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Love those perch bolts with #7 on them.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 30 Apr 2023 06:37 #883986

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
calum thanks for the info !!! you just saved me about forty bucks. I really just need the o-ring for the reservoir, the pics of the Goldwing looked very close and I thought it was worth a try. It seems cmore might have what I need.

Thanks for chiming in cmore email is on the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 01 May 2023 05:16 #884043

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member

I have used all manner of after market and 'other brand' master cylinders over 47 years and from my experience oem Kaw TOKICO brand brakes are the best when properly rebuilt. Several years ago after alot of leg work, trial & error I located proper size industrial butyl rubber orings for all late 70s master cylinder fluid cups - these are not cheap vinyl o/s junk. The U.S. spec 77 A1 front master and KZ750 twin rear fluid cup have a threaded base that screws in to body and requires 2 very specific orings for top & bottom recesses. The U.S. spec dual fr. disc master as well as the same era r. master requires 1 oring. The 1978 - 80 trapezoidal fr. masters use a very thin oring - which I stock - but if the oring recess is pitted it may not work for you. These orings are not found in any parts books and are not offered as a Kawasaki repair part (for some odd reason). If you have proper measuring instruments and a commercial industrial supply nearby, you can probably figure this out yourself. Email is best This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - price is shipped - 78 - 80 front trapezoid $6 - 77 / 78 fr. & r. master $8 - threaded cup style (pair) $11
cmore, Thanks for the information!! my 77 A1 has the threaded reservoir which explains why I couldn't remove the disc. I assumed it had the two screws under it and I'm glad I stopped trying to remove the disc before I broke it.

I also have a trapezoid which I took apart last night and I see what you mean about the o-ring recess being pitted. It appears the round master is made of a different metal and the trapezoid is much more prone to corrosion/pitting.

Thanks again for the info it was very helpfull !!

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 01 May 2023 08:37 #884058

• cmore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes I had to destroy one to figure out the hidden thread - luckily the part was a petrified boat anchor...... And yes, I believe that the materials got cheaper in 78 in both the body and inner sleeve. You will probably see pitting between where the first & second seals ride on the trap style - even with the flaws, mine still work great. I do honing with a rubber tube pressed over a drill bit and then tape 6 or 800 emery cloth to the tube. From my experience ball hones make pitting worse in some instances. I finish up with a scotchbrite pad soaked in auto tranny fluid to remove debris and then flush with brakeclean. Speaking of brake clean - it does not dissolve old gummy dot 3 - you have to scrub that out really well or it will leave deposits that can prevent your new seals from working. This applies specifically to the rear master - I literally use a dental mirror and dental picks to clean the oring recess areas that you cannot see by eye. It's a lot of work, but worth it in my opinion - especially on a bone stock resto.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 11 May 2023 06:41 #884513

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
Just wanted to say thanks again cmore, I installed the o-rings about a week ago and have not noticed any seepage at the base of the reservoir.

And calum I apologize for stepping on your wanted thread but at least a lot of good info has been shared here and I hope you found a solution to your problem.

KZ1000A1 Front Brake Fluid Reservoir 03 Jun 2023 14:06 #885565

• lash
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What do you guys use to clean the transparent part of the reservoir with ? The inside of mind is discolored a little.
Thanks
75 Z1B
76 KZ900A4
78 LTD 1000

• Page: