Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 11:29 #858072

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 127
Hey all, as the title says I’m wondering if there is anyone here that has the knowledge and skill to not only repair a fuel tank, but also modify the shape of it a bit. I’m not asking for a favor, this is a paying job, I just want it done right. 

So the tank, pictured below, does have some damage. It’s a spare tank I got off eBay, not the stock one from my bike. I can have it chemical dipped locally so that it is absolutely raw metal with no trace of gas or paint, and I would like to repaint it myself after the repairs and modification. 

About the modification, I would like it to be reshaped a bit on the aft half to be a little more angular and squared off. I did my best “Photoshop” with my phone to illustrate a before and after concept, seen below. 

So that’s it I guess. I suppose this is probably a long shot, and not the kind of job any sane person would ever want to do, but it’s my dream and can’t hurt to ask right? 

Let me know if you or someone you know is the right person for the job, and a ballpark figure what it might cost me, and we can go from there. Thanks! 

The tank:

”Before”

”After”
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Stereordinary.

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 11:33 #858073

• Stereordinary
  • User
Looking at my Photoshop concept, and just wanna say that it doesn’t have to be quite so much more added and quite so sharp edged. Somewhere kind of between the two is ideal. Ok, yeah, thanks. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 14:33 #858080

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
I like the look of that second tank. You need to find someone that works on cars and is good at metal shaping, the right guy will use virtually no filler to create that tank...

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 16:15 #858083

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
A good body man can work wonders, but it won't be cheap.  

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 16:59 #858090

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
I went to a really cool demonstration by Fay Butler.  I watched him shape a fender with an english wheel, but it seems like he mostly uses an air planishing hammer.

www.faybutler.com/index.html

And while looking for that site I find this one.  I don't know anything about them, but it looks like they could do what you want.

www.fournierenterprises.com/index2.htm

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 17:03 #858091

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

I went to a really cool demonstration by Fay Butler.  I watched him shape a fender with an english wheel, but it seems like he mostly uses an air planishing hammer.

www.faybutler.com/index.html

And while looking for that site I find this one.  I don't know anything about them, but it looks like they could do what you want.

www.fournierenterprises.com/index2.htm

Nice.

There are guys out there that can work magic with steel.  How much are you willing to pay though?  Figure on at least $100/hour.  

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 17:24 #858094

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Your photoshop concept looks great.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 18:12 #858096

• Stereordinary
  • User

There are guys out there that can work magic with steel.  How much are you willing to pay though?  Figure on at least $100/hour.

I’m not expecting it to be cheap, but I also have no idea what kind of time something like this would take someone that knows what they’re doing. I guess on the high end I’m hoping it doesn’t cost me more than like $900? I’m willing to spend that much, but it goes without saying it would be nice to not have to go up that high. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 19 Nov 2021 19:28 #858099

• 750 R1
  • User

I’m not expecting it to be cheap, but I also have no idea what kind of time something like this would take someone that knows what they’re doing. I guess on the high end I’m hoping it doesn’t cost me more than like $900? I’m willing to spend that much, but it goes without saying it would be nice to not have to go up that high. 

I know a guy here in Australia that could make the extension in about an hour, he's very good, probably another hour to weld it together, he uses a gas torch and mig wire, like brazing, his welds are immaculate....  Find the right guy and it won't cost $900.. That's without paint work..

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 20 Nov 2021 08:16 #858107

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Hey all, as the title says I’m wondering if there is anyone here that has the knowledge and skill to not only repair a fuel tank, but also modify the shape of it a bit.
About the modification, I would like it to be reshaped a bit on the aft half to be a little more angular and squared off. I did my best “Photoshop” with my phone to illustrate a before and after concept, seen below.

There is a guy in Australia that could make the extension in about an hour, he's very good, and weld it together in an hour.
He uses a gas torch and mig wire, like brazing, his welds are immaculate.
You can send your tank to Australia and this guy can do the work for you.

Another option is to find a tin knocker who can bend sheet metal to the shape you want, then find a welder that can weld onto your tank.

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 20 Nov 2021 14:43 #858120

• 750 R1
  • User
I wasn't actually offering the Aussie guy up for the work, just saying that a good metal worker can do it pretty quick. The guy I know, because he's good, is booked out for car work for about 2 years, People send him cars from all over Australia,  most of the time he's flat out....

Looking for someone to repair and modify a fuel tank. 20 Nov 2021 19:31 #858126

• Stereordinary
  • User
Oh I’m pretty sure the cost of shipping to and from Australia would negate any savings had by sending it to that guy. But I understand what you mean, and I’m hoping there’s someone here in the US I can send it to. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

• Page: