Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 20 Oct 2016 18:30 #745788

• rstnick
  • rstnick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Sorry, been searching and getting frustrated.

Where is that thread on lifting an engine out by the carb intake mounts, using a bracket shaped like a C bolted to the engine intake, and then lifted out using a hoist?
I've searched, and searched.
In tools, in engine.

It had pictures showing the engine being lifted out.
Thanks for any help.

The search function s*#ks.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rstnick.

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 21 Oct 2016 00:38 #745807

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Last edit: by I_Tig_in_piece. Reason: tried to fix link

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 21 Oct 2016 05:01 #745811

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
You can easily remove any KZ motor with two people. I pulled my old 550 motor by myself, but I am known to stronger than I am smart :laugh: However the 1000cc motor was too heavy for me to do on my own, easy with a helper. R
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 21 Oct 2016 05:23 #745817

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
It was in projects somewhere but it made me wince when he did it.
So much weight and force acting on those eight little 6mm bolts he's lucky it didn't break the lugs off the inlets.
I wouldn't do it.
Much easier to either get a mate to help lift it out or partially dismantle the engine in situ until it's light enough to remove by yourself.
If the bike is stripped the whole thing can be laid on it's r/h (ign) side and the frame lifted of the engine.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 21 Oct 2016 06:25 #745822

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I just use tie-down straps wrapped around the engine. Even if you don't trailer your bike on a regular basis, it doesn't hurt to have a set of tie-downs handy just in case of a major breakdown.

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 21 Oct 2016 16:20 #745863

• rstnick
  • User
I'm not removing an engine at the moment.
I wanted to share the pictures using the hoist elsewhere.
I will look in Projects....
Rob
CANADA

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 07:52 #745918

• rstnick
  • User
I had a look through Projects, but have not found anything.

If I'm not mistaken, there was an original thread where one member here showed the tool to lift out the engine to us.
Then there was a thread some time later where another member made the tool, and used it, with lots of pictures.

If anyone here posted those up, or recalls where those posts are, please share a link.

Oh, and it was not on that CB forum, I tig...
Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 09:40 #745927

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
Easiest way I have used is slipping a threaded rod thru the top rear mount holes on engine top case and a broom stick thru the exhaust studs that I hold tight to the head with a bike tie down strap which gives plenty of support for lifting a 1000 cc motor. Have each of these long enough to extend about 12 inches beyond the motor on each side and my Son and I can easily twist the motor in any direction to slip it into position with only minor cussing
Just my 2 cts
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 11:00 #745933

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Hey street fighter been thinking of trying that too (with my wife's help) in the next couple weeks.... good to hear it works ..... used to throw 100 lb bags of concrete around like they were no big deal but cleaned 5 or 6 (hard ones) outta my shed the other day and found out my age and retirement has caught up with me and no way could I do the motor alone. ;)
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 12:56 #745940

• Street Fighter LTD

KZB2 650 wrote: Hey street fighter been thinking of trying that too (with my wife's help) in the next couple weeks.... good to hear it works ..... used to throw 100 lb bags of concrete around like they were no big deal but cleaned 5 or 6 (hard ones) outta my shed the other day and found out my age and retirement has caught up with me and no way could I do the motor alone. ;)

I feel and share your pain with the bad / old / back :pinch:

It worked great for me . Using a threaded rod allows you to run washers and nuts up against the motor case which stiffens your grip and increases your ability to make small corrections in motor position..
The broom stick I use is wood which I secure tightly to the exhaust port studs between the top and lower studs ..
Since the stick is wood it doesnt mar the frame down tubes if you scuff up against it, so win / win for that..
Make sure you pre plan hand placement for the person reaching thru the frame from the left side and you should be in good shape
I put my motor on my motorcycle jack next to the frame and raised it to a height which allowed my son to just reach thru the frame and up and in we went :)
Dave B) B) B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 16:49 #745959

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
I find it easier to remove the frame from the engine,than the engine from the frame. And also when I put it back together, I lower the frame and attach it to the engine.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Last edit: by mopguy.

Lifting engine out with hoist by intake 22 Oct 2016 17:39 #745965

• Street Fighter LTD

mopguy wrote: I find it easier to remove the frame from the engine,than the engine from the frame. And also when I put it back together, I lower the frame and attach it to the engine.

That works great too, But I do it as described above since I normally pull the engine while the rest of the bike is still assembled..
Dave

• Page: