Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

setting up compressor questions 18 Feb 2014 01:01 #622636

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
So i finally wired my used compressor up and it runs great! much much quieter than my old oil-less one. What should i be running in terms of filters/traps? I use it mostly for painting and pulling vacuums on fiberglass layups. I have a water filter that worked great when i got it but now it doesn't seem to do much. Do they have desiccant in them and do they go bad? Right now i think i need a water filter and an oil filter, and a decent regulator. Also i want to bring air down to a separate garage, i have a a 100' air hose that i can easily thread thorough the unfinished ceiling, that i would like to connect to a hose reel with a 25' hose in the other garage. Would there be any foreseeable problems with this? Id rather not have to go through the hassle/money of piping it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

setting up compressor questions 18 Feb 2014 07:08 #622657

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
I'd run 1/2 or larger hose to the other garage. Watch for bottlenecks with your fittings.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

setting up compressor questions 22 Feb 2014 17:34 #623041

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Have you thought about just hard piping it to the other garage?
Are the garages climate controlled?
These things make a differance as to how I would plumb the system.
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

setting up compressor questions 23 Feb 2014 07:52 #623064

• Haybus
  • User
  • Big Al
  • Thank you received: 42
Eliminate quick change fittings where you can. We use a high flow version of the ones in your picture at work. They have a 5/16" ID versus 3/16" and they still restrict flow by 10% per fitting. If you find yourself regularly working within say 20' of your compressor make a short hose rather than just using that 100' hose coiled on the floor. Plastic coil hoses that look like a spring are also horrible flow restrictions. Avoid if possible. if you do hard plumb try to eliminate elbows as they restrict flow too.

Alan
1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

setting up compressor questions 23 Feb 2014 11:50 #623074

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Neither garage is heated. I did consider hard piping it to the other garage but i don't really want to sink the money and time into that as i likely will be moving from this house in the next 2 years thats also why i wired a plug with a switch instead of just directly wiring the compressor to the switch. I have a 1/2" rubber air hose and I was going to run as big of fittings a possible the whole way to the other garage , and then have a shorter 25' hose for the garage where the compressor is.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

setting up compressor questions 23 Feb 2014 17:58 #623093

• wireman
  • User
Id be willing to bet that anyplace theres a droop/low spot in that air hose between the garages youre going to have a big moisture trap, especially if it gets humid where you are at.
Id atleast put a water seperater on each end.
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

setting up compressor questions 24 Feb 2014 01:22 #623149

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

wireman wrote: Id be willing to bet that anyplace theres a droop/low spot in that air hose between the garages youre going to have a big moisture trap, especially if it gets humid where you are at.
Id atleast put a water seperater on each end.

would that not also be the case with pipe? I was planning on doing a water separator before the hose. i usualy use one of those in-line disposable desiccant filters right before the paint gun as a fail safe. Do you think that would be adequate at the end of the line or should i get another separator as well?

setting up compressor questions 27 Feb 2014 07:14 #623504

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
A few years ago I purchased a 50 foot reel and mounted it on the ceiling of my garage. I took my existing hose and routed it up to the reel. i removed the quick connect fittings and put teflon tape on all connections. I keep it on 24/7. As long as I do not keep anything on the end of the quick connect fitting on the reel, it does not lose pressure and run the compressor. The length of the hose on the reel allows me to go all the way to the end of my driveway.
AFAIAC, it is the ideal solution.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Last edit: by koolaid_kid.

setting up compressor questions 02 Mar 2014 18:25 #623952

• wireman
  • User

koolaid_kid wrote: A few years ago I purchased a 50 foot reel and mounted it on the ceiling of my garage. I took my existing hose and routed it up to the reel. i removed the quick connect fittings and put teflon tape on all connections. I keep it on 24/7. As long as I do not keep anything on the end of the quick connect fitting on the reel, it does not lose pressure and run the compressor. The length of the hose on the reel allows
me to go all the way to the end of my
driveway.
Id atleast have shut off on the compressor to shut it off when youre not around to watch it, having a hose or fitting blow out when nobodies around could destroy a compressor really quick.
AFAIAC, it is the ideal solution.

setting up compressor questions 03 Mar 2014 05:57 #623993

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
You are correct. One day I will install a wall switch that makes it easy to do. Perhaps after this one burns out and I can justify a really nice two stage compressor. :silly:
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

setting up compressor questions 26 Nov 2014 00:46 #654658

• aek
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 6
We run a similar two cylinder single stage compressor 10 hrs a day for 14 years so far with a total of one cylinder head gasket replacement. Those things last a long time!! Keep the tank drained as well as the line. We use synthetic oil also.
Regards,
Art
1980 750-4 LTD original owner
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

setting up compressor questions 26 Nov 2014 16:42 #654715

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
i usualy use one of those in-line disposable desiccant filters right before the paint gun as a fail safe. Do you think that would be adequate at the end of the line or should i get another separator as well?[/quote]

Definitely use both, I tried an inline but it is an extra...nothing worse than shooting a clear coat and getting oil or water spitting out - usually when you are finishing up and the compressor is really hot.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Page: