Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 21 Mar 2013 21:37 #578063

• Powerstroke_fan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 83
Ive got a harbor freight blast cabinet one size smaller than yours. mine dont have legs or the funnel type deal on the bottom. Ive had it for probably two years or more. Its not a bad deal for the money. It does have a couple things i dont like about it, like unability to get oem repacement screens and gloes.Sand leaks out everywhere. I sealed it up better to stop most of it. For a light i just bought a short fluroresnt light and made to tabs to mount it up. But overall i would buy another bigger one. right now i can barely fit a half a case in it. But worked good for jugs and head and other small parts.
1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 21 Mar 2013 23:50 #578078

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
The window for mine actually felt like glass when I pulled it out of its separate box,I stuck it back in its box figured its last piece Ill install.
My old homemade cabinet actually uses an old oven door with the glass still in it. :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 09:50 #578122

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377
I picked up one like you have on Cl a couple of years ago. I've used it for a few different bike projects and it has always worked well. Powerstroke fan is right though; they leak. I intend to seal it up with some silicone one of these days but you may want to consider doing it as you build it. I also put mine on wheels so I could move it away from the wall so it is easier to hook up the shop vac.
Speaking of that... RStar45 I would like more info on how you built your accumulator.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Last edit: by ThatGPzGuy.

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 12:29 #578138

• wireman
  • User
I plan on siliconing the seams on mine from inside cabinet,Im also going to run a shop vac to it to keep dust down inside cabinet so I can see. :laugh:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 15:09 #578169

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
What media are you guys using?
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 15:24 #578172

• wireman
  • User
Depending on what Im cleaning I like to mix glass beads/baking soda,since this one has the hopper and drain on bottem it will be easier to switch things around depending on what Im cleaning :)

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 16:47 #578185

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Do they sell the glass bead right at Harbor Freight? I know some of that stuff can be expensive.

I already use a cheapo gravity feed sandblaster and have a soda blaster. Both of those I need to use outdoors which is a PITA in winter or rain. Not to mention I have to drag everything outside just to do a small bracket, etc.

I NEED one of those cabinets.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 17:42 #578192

• rstar45
  • User
  • It's a Hobby
  • Thank you received: 0
Sure Jim,

Block of wood to help glue / hold an input directed at the side of the bucket sets the air spinning.

Made a cone to fit just above the inlet.

And a couple air filters on the lid.

Sure glad you asked... I really need to clean that sucker. :lol:
82 KZ1100A
80 GL1100 Standard
71 BSA Lightning
80 XS650

ALL Projects

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 18:37 #578206

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
I've been using one of those for about 6 years. It needs tweaking to work good. Now's the time to do it....as you assemble.

First, EVERY seam needs a good, heavy duty silicone coating during assembly. DO NOT SKIMP there.

Second, the window is too small and all those screws that hold it in are a poor setup.

Cut a bigger hole in the top. Get a bigger window. Make you self a quick removal setup with some spin down clamps. You'll want to change protective film. It's cumbersome to do from inside the cabinet.

A K&N pod filter that will fit the exhaust hole from inside the cabinet will protect your vacuum source and can be quickly removed and cleaned without taking things apart.

Also, the intake vent on the right side needs to be filtered. A huge K&N with some PVC tubing, elbo and an adapter to fit snugly into the hole in the cabinet works good. Again...quick clean setup. You will be amazed at how much stuff actually gets up through the intake vent, even with that guard on it.

Yellow in the pic need weather strip. Blue in the pic is where you should rivet some plastic that will hang down inside the cabinet and block media from leaking out past the bottom of the door...

The right size glass bead isn't dusty. Crushed glass is dusty. Baking soda....fuget aboudit... you won't see anything you're doing, even with a great vacuum setup.

The light that comes with it won't last long. Toss it.. Get a better one.

NEVER fill the hopper. Put in just enough to be about 1 - 2 inches above the feed tube pickup hole. Don't try to make the glass bead last forever....

I save the old media for use in our portable blaster pot.

Attachment hfcabinet.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58, wireman

Last edit: by LarryC.

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 21:04 #578218

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Car or automotive seam sealer works great....much better than silicone....

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 22 Mar 2013 23:01 #578236

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Car or automotive seam sealer works great....much better than silicone....

The GE 20 year clear silicone that you use in house construction will seal it up just fine.
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Harbor freight glass beading cabinet 23 Mar 2013 00:15 #578252

• rstar45
  • User
  • It's a Hobby
  • Thank you received: 0
For this application silicon is probably fine, or painters caulk, or acrylic, or about anything.

But I'll tell ya a story:

I used to live on a small private fishing lake. (Most every old aluminum boat has seam leaks) So every year I would watch all the small aluminum boat owners scraping off the old silicon caulk on the seams and re-caulking. They could never get more than a season no matter what kind of caulk they used. When I purchased my own small boat I "caulked" all the seams with PL400 construction adhesive. That lasted for seven years and maybe longer, but I moved and quit using the boat so...

just 2 cents
82 KZ1100A
80 GL1100 Standard
71 BSA Lightning
80 XS650

ALL Projects