Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 01:23 #474272

• Cuff
  • Cuff's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
So, like the title states I got bored this weekend and decided to address a long over due carb sinc on my project bike. Didn’t have a manometer and didn’t feel like throwing $100 down the road buying one and since I’m cheap found others had mad one that works just as well at home.

Off to the back yard with the boy to hunt down some left over wood from last months deck build and found the perfect 2x8 and a couple of pre-cut 1x6’s. Screwed them together and a couple coats of paint and you have the makings of less floor space in your garage.

Had my son help draw some lines with his trusty Sharpe and we’re well on our way.

No Father / Son project would be complete without a name so “The Suck-O-Meter” was born.

Down to the hardware store for some tubing, pipe ‘T’s and couplers to go with the vacuum tube already in the shop. We needed a way of reducing and equalizing the vacuum but had a hell of a time finding something out here in the sleepy little village of the Wack. Some cold drinks for us went by before my little brain thought about jamming some left over pilot jets into the rubber vacuum tube. Should work, right?

Some old automatic transmission fluid put the final bow on the project and was a real sense of accomplishment for my son and me. Now to test it out.

No pictures of the test but suffice to say she works, too well. I confirmed that I have a slight leak in two carbs and will need to address it this winter. Got it close but not perfect.

Anyway, I’m sure there are a hundred of these around but none build by my son and I. Also I told my son it's a MAN-o-meter. Cheers and thanks for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 01:42 #474280

• Tony
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 13
Nice!! I built one almost exactly the same and it worked pretty good. I'll post a pic of it if I find it. :)

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 04:13 #474292

• Cuff
  • User
Love to see the pics. It was more about spending time with my son than making a precision instrument though.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 13:08 #474344

• RedlineJunkie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Very cool cuff. Glad your boy and you had some quality time.

I'm bored and a buddy is coming over with a case of beer and i have a case of camo paint. We're painting my camper in three color camo, lol.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 14:13 #474350

• Cuff
  • User

RedlineJunkie wrote: Very cool cuff. Glad your boy and you had some quality time.

I'm bored and a buddy is coming over with a case of beer and i have a case of camo paint. We're painting my camper in three color camo, lol.

LOL, funny you should say that. My son wanted to paint our manometer camo. We didn't have anything even close to brown or green in the house. I also told him you can get full camo paint in a spray can. His almos 8 year old brain thought about it for a second then I got the "Daaaaaaaad, that's silly". :lol:

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 17:20 #474392

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
When my son gets back from Mexico I'm building one of those.
And what size hoses did you use?
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 05 Sep 2011 18:28 #474398

• Cuff
  • User

wagonmaster69 wrote: When my son gets back from Mexico I'm building one of those.
And what size hoses did you use?

Should be a fun time with your son. The tubes are 1/4" i.d clear and 3/16" rbber vacuum. Total cost is about $40.

I had a request for some more pic so here they are.

Tubes coming out the back side.

Pilot jets between vacuum tube and coupler.

Close up of connection with marking stripes.

How she sits and tahes up space. :lol:

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 06 Sep 2011 15:34 #474661

• Cuff
  • User
Well got to thinking how to make each line work independently of each other and some tips from another forum led me to make some changes with the boy this morning after his one hour of school.

Added a resevoir and vent tube in hopes that each tube would draw separately but ended up with 4 big straws that almost sucked in some fluid if it wasnt for a quick kill switch finger.:laughing

With little brain fully engaged I thought, hmm, maybe plug up the vent tube but that just got me back to where I already was. A little more coffee and some more dead brain cells led me to poking a very small hole in the vent tube plug in hopes of limiting the amount of air that back fills the resevoir. Success. Now all tubes work independently and don't suck in fluid. I might change the fluid type though as ATF just seems to light. The red is cool looking though. hehe.

Now all I have to do is find the vacuum leak on numver 3 carb that is causing a hang on throttle chop.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 06 Sep 2011 20:34 #474729

• wagonmaster69
  • User
So is that resevoir full of fluid? And what is the purpose of the 5th line?
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 06 Sep 2011 20:37 #474732

• Cuff
  • User
The resevoir is full of fluid and the fifth line is just vent.

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 16 Nov 2011 21:46 #488832

• wagonmaster69
  • User
Just was wondering how you get the fluid in through the hoses?

Anyone else get bored this weekend? 17 Nov 2011 01:11 #488864

• Cuff
  • User
Vent tube placed into any fluid of your choice and draw it in by sucking on any one of the remaining hoses while pluging the other 3. (after a second thought I would go with a thicker fluid like fork oil)

• Page: